Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help Remove a Virus [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

paukid

paukid

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello all
I feel really stupid because I am always so careful but I bought a new game and tried to see if there were any patches for it and I went to a site and have contacted a virus. I think its a Abebot Trojan downloader. xs but I am not sure.

It wont let me sign on my computer except in Safe Mode and has disabled my keyboard when I try to type in my password in Regular Mode. It has also disabled my ability to RESTORE.

I am feeling stupid and fustrated and could really use some help. I am no expert at computers but not "rookie" either but I have no idea what to do!

Please help!
Paul

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi run these programmes from safe mode if normal mode is inaccesible

Posted Image GMER Rootkit Scanner - Download - Homepage
[*] Download GMER
[*] Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
[*] Double click GMER.exe.
Posted Image
[*] If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run a full scan...click on NO, then use the following settings for a more complete scan..
[*] In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Ensure the following are UNCHECKED ...
  • IAT/EAT
  • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
  • Show All (don't miss this one)
    Posted Image
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "ark.txt"
  • Save the log where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
**Caution**Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries
Please copy and paste the report into your Post.

THEN

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    drivers32
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /180

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi Essexboy
first, thank you so much for your help!! its so much appreciated. I ran the scan as you said but I didnt see anywhere where it said "SAVE" all it had was an "OK" box which I hit. It just took me back to the beginning. I must have done something wrong. I will rescan.

Just as a point of reference, the scan took about 3 hours to do. Is it supposed to take that long? Anyway, I will rescan again and get those files to you very soon

again, thanks so so much for this help!
Paul

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi again Essexboy

I have now run the GMER Scan 3 times. Once the scan stops, there is no button to "Save" the file. I looked everywhere. There is only an "OK" button and "Cancel" button at the bottom of the completed scan. I cannot right click to get to a Save or Save As either.

I am a bit lost. Am I doing something wrong?

Paul

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello again Essexboy

I think I may know the issue. The "Save" button is below the "Scan" and "Copy" buttons (I saw this on your example of what to tick off when running GMER. The problem is my fonts are so big in Safe Mode that I can see below the "Scan" button.

Do you have a tip on how I can make the text on my screen smaller in order to see all the button options? I tried right clicking and going to properties and Settings and changing the screen resolution but it doesnt work. How else can make the fonts on my screen smaller in Safe Mode (Safe mode usually makes the fonts ALOT bigger for some reason).

So I guess I am saying that I believe the "Save" button is there...its just that I can seem to maniplulate the fonts and open boxes to see it :) :)

Looking forward to your help
Paul

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Continue with OTL and we will run GMER from normal mode once I manage to kill the annoying infection :)

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
here are the OTL.txt and Extra

I first ran the scan and the a quick scan after pasting in all that stuff you told me to under "custom" so I have 2 OTLs and 2 Extras (I think LOL)

anyway...here they are :) (sorry to be so stupid :))

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem - if you are not used to the tools that can happen

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL
    O2 - BHO: (C:\WINDOWS\system32\cqed5w.dll) - {C7BA40A1-74F2-52BD-F411-04B15A2C8953} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\cqed5w.dll File not found
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: {C7BA40A1-74F2-52BD-F411-04B15A2C8953} - har98fefiesjfs93s8i9sejsdf - C:\WINDOWS\System32\cqed5w.dll File not found
    [2010/05/25 18:42:10 | 000,180,224 | ---- | M] () -- C:\WINDOWS\Swojaa.exe

:Files
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\cqed5w.dll 

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

THEN

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

• As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

• Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
hello again Essexboy!
thanks for all this help

I did all you said. I am still running in Safe Mode so I was unable to disable Norton 360 because it was not located in my System tray as it normally would be. I even tried to uninstall it but it would not allow me to do so in Safe Mode (it gave me a warning box that I had to do it from Normal mode). So in light of this, I ran Combofix with Norton but I think it was fine :)

I am attaching both the OTL log and Combo fix log as per your direction

Looking forward to hearing from you :)
Paul

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
On completion of this run please go to normal mode and let me know what problems you still have

1. Please open Notepad
  • Click Start , then Run
  • Type notepad .exe in the Run Box.

2. Now copy/paste the entire content of the codebox below into the Notepad window:

Fcopy::
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\user32.dll|c:\windows\system32\user32.dll
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\user32.dll|c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB925902\SP2QFE\user32.dll
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\user32.dll|c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\user32.dll
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\user32.dll|c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB925902\SP2QFE\user32.dll
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\user32.dll|c:\windows\$hf_mig$\KB890859\SP2QFE\user32.dll
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\user32.dll|c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB925902$\user32.dll
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\user32.dll|c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB890859$\user32.dll

3. Then in the text file go to FILE > SAVE AS and in the dropdown box select SAVE AS TYPE to ALL FILES

4. Save the above as CFScript.txt

5. Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as depicted in the animation below. This will start ComboFix again.

Posted Image

6. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), please post the following reports/logs into your next reply:
  • Combofix.txt
  • A new OTListit log.

Advertisements

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
good morning Essexboy

attached are the two logs you requested. I am still unable to sign onto Normal mode because my keyboard is still not working in normal mode. When I go to type in my password nothing is being generated in the password box when I am typing :)

Just one more point i wanted to mention. both times I ran Combofix (this time and last time) Combofix found a Rootkit both times after just a minute or so of running and had me reboot. Once I rebooted it continued its run. Just wanted to mention that in case it was important

Looking forward to your reply
Paul :)

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK the infected file was the keyboard driver so lets see if I can find a replacement

• Run OTL. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Check the box that says Scan All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

c:\windows\system32\drivers\kbdhid.sys /s /md5

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi Essexboy

I did as you said but this time only a OTL.txt was generated, not an Extra.txt so I am posting only the OTL.txt.

I ran it 2 more times to make sure but no Extra.txt file

Did I do something wrong?

Paul

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   90.64KB   152 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No that was OK - but I did not find a spare, I will have a look and see if I can find one

paukid

paukid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
thank you Essexboy!
I really appreciate all the effort

What happens if we cant find a spare? Does that mean I am doomed to having to buy a whole new computer? :)

Paul