Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A query about speakers in TFT monitors

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I have an oldish Acer AL1512 monitor with speakers.

Are these speakers powered (when all connected up and running) or not as they are so quiet as to be almost inaudble. All my computer volume controls are on maximum. Using headphones or separate powered speakers is very good. There is no volume control on the TFT itself.
Perhaps this is usual on these models? Acer has not responded to my query.
Can anyone confirm one way or another please?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes, they are powered. Does the OSD (on screen display) show any volume options?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
There is no Volume option in the OSD.

I have now also tried a friend's Acer 1511 (the only difference is this one is directly AC powered and the 1512 is 12 volts and needs a transformer(of course)but this also has a tiny volume so I suppose this is just an annoying aspect of these Acer TFTs - no wonder Acer didn't want to respond to my query to them!

Thanks for your response.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I think I would want to try that monitor on the another computer. Trying another Acer did not prove the problem is with two monitors and not the audio source.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
That is a pertinent point - I should have said that in fact it was used on another computer so unfortunately it appears that Acer TFTs are to 'blame'.

Oh well I'll have to get some external speakers to attach.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, it may be a problem with Acers - but TFT has nothing to do with audio. So it may just be with all Acers that use the same audio circuitry and/or speakers, regardless the panel type.

Does your friend's 1511 play loud enough on his system? Or does he have the same complaint? If he is happy with his volume level, then the problem is not the Acer monitors.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My friend's Acer TFT was one of a few lying around and he couldn't remember ever using it but plugging it in does show the same low volume level - should have done that before. Problem sort of solved.

Thanks for your feedback.