Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyBook World Edition

• Please log in to reply

pagal

pagal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
My 3 year old Dell desktop has been running pretty slowly and the fan makes a lot of noise, I tried cleaning it but to no avail, so I thought I'd try starting over. My dad got me a Western Digital MyBook World Edition to back up the hard drive, and I've tried but I can't understand how to use it. I've read the help pages and manual but a) most of the jargon goes over my head and b) there's no option coming up to back up the computer which the help page says there should be!

Anyone used one of these before that can help me? I feel so dumb :)
Thanks!

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Sure, I'll give it a shot. Before I go any further, :)

I have a Mybook as well so I should be able to help.

Basically, what you have to do is go into my computerand find the drive that says MYBOOK. Open that, and you'll have a blank screen. Just copy your folders of the stuff that you want to back up to the drive. You can't back up the entire OS, and there's no reason to.

Keep in mind you're going to need to open my computer at least a couple of times for this.

For example, if you want to back up, say, your music, you'd go to C:\Documents and Settings\*username* (fill this in with your account name)\My Documents and just right click the icon and copy. Then go back to the MYBOOK window and right click -> paste. It should show up there.

Tell me if it works! If not, I'll rework this a bit.

pagal

pagal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the welcome and your help! Could I just clarify, do I have to configure or map network drives first? Otherwise, that sounds nice and simple...

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Nope. Network drives are something else entirely.

pagal

pagal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, it seems to be working now!
I have another question though, sorry...
What does it mean when I'm copying stuff over and I get a box saying 'do you want to copy this item without its properties?' - will my stuff still be normal?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
As far as I know, properties in this case means read only and that type of thing.

Don't quote me on that though, I'm going to see if I can get someone more experienced to help me help you.