Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doing a clean installation of WIndows XP

• Please log in to reply

dope1974

dope1974

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to clean install windows XP pro on a dell dimension 2400. I got this computer for free and didnt come with any recovery CD or anything. I have gotten the recovery CD from Dell but before i proceed, the computer has microsoft office and wire adapter etc on there, which i would ideally like to retain. Is there anyway to save this programs (since i dont have CDs to reinstall them). If anyone has any advice, I am all ears.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi dope1974 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

You can not save programs after they are installed. They are installed from a CD or a executable from a file down load.

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
You can pull up MS office key using this utility http://en.utilidades...-windows-xp.php and then try clean installation. You will not be able to retain anything other than ms office

daeemann

daeemann

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
No. You CANNOT just get ms office key and expect to install it easily. This is wrong advice. MS office is not like windows. There are way too many versions of ms office and you need exactly the same version for the key to work. Cannot just borrow anyone's office cd and expect it to work with your key.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
An over-the-top reinstall of XP?:

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Follow that last post, and you will have your cake and eat it too. I might add that you may want to do a complete clean off of unwanted programs and files before you do that.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also do a disk defrag also.

Use ATF cleaner for cleaning all the temp and cache.
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
[list]
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download