Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 2500

• Please log in to reply

jools109

jools109

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[FONT=Courier]
i have a dell inspiron 2500 that was given to me. it turns on but then it just has a black screen. sometimes it boots up and the screen saver comes up, everything loads, etc. youcan even get on the internet. but then it will freeze up in 5-10 min. the arrow won't move, etc. i have no idea what to do, where to start with this. it has windows 2000 professional, windows me. it was made in 2000. any help appreciated. thank you!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

well seeing as you just got it and theres nothing on it that you need I would reinstall the OS (operating system) to see if that will fix the problem, you then have to install all the drivers. These should be on disks that originally came with the computer.

Rick

jools109

jools109

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
that is an awesome idea....if i had those disks. those didn't come with it. it was my brother in laws he sent it from hawaii...long story. any other ideas besides paying someone at a store to fix it???

thanks so much
jools

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Got Spyware or ... a virus?

Spyware will kill your system performance so bad that it will cause lockups and even crash your system.

Get Ad-Aware and Spybot and scan the system. If needed boot into Safemode and
perform the scan.

jaffi2000

jaffi2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem after re-installing XP pro. After installing XP sp2, the computer will boot to a black screen. This is with the latest video driver from Dell... The only workaround seems to be to boot in safe mode. Looks like sp2 is not compatible with the driver...

If the original poster or someone else has found a solution, please post.

//Jat