Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports

• Please log in to reply

Sockg02

Sockg02

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was trying to disable one of 7 USB ports on my PC but somehow all USB ports have been disabled and none of the divices connected is working. This means I can not use my keyboard, mouse or any divce connected via USB when the OS is running.
I am able to use the keyboard at the BIOS area though. Can someone help to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back into the bios and set anything usb related to enabled...SAVE your settings...usually F10 but read the screen to be sure...then reboot...
just out of curiosity...why were your trying to disable one of the usb ports...

Edited by happyrock, 27 May 2010 - 08:06 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are able to move around the bios with the arrow keys, the first thing i would check is the USB setting there. You may be able to re-enable the USB in the bios and correct your problem.

Can you RESTORE to a point earlier than when the ports was disabled?

Do you have PS2 ports in the back of the computer? If you do, then borrow a PS2 mouse and see if you can get XP started and can use the mouse. Then go looking in device manager for USB. If there is NO USB in device manager then the windows USB drivers has been deleted.

If they are still there you might try right clicking on the USB and see if you can enable them. Y also might be able to go to run and type devmgmt.msc then click on universal serial bus controllers, right click on the sub menus and enable it. Also try clicking the "Driver" button and "Update driver"

Microsoft has a article on this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

Have you tried this:
Remove and reinstall USB drivers by following the procedure below.

1. Remove any USB devices that may be attached to the system.
2. Go to Device Manager, as follows:
Click on Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, and click on Device Manager
3. Click the + next to "Universal Serial Bus Controller"
4. Double click on the item(s) listed then choose uninstall. When prompted with "Are sure you want to remove," click Yes.
5. After all items are removed, close all open windows and restart the system.
When the system reboots, it will reinstall the USB drivers.

If USB does not reinstall you may need the mainboard drivers CD to install the Chipset drivers(which include USB drivers).

SRX660

Sockg02

Sockg02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks to everyone for the quick response.
Only area I can do anything is the BIOS area. Beyond that and when the OS starts loading all devices connected via USB port stops working, so going to device manager seems impossible.
USB controller in the BIOS area is enabled. I have disabled it, re started the PC and then enabled it again but that did not help.

To happyrock, I was trying to explain to my son how to disable a device connected via USB and ended up where I am.

Edited by Sockg02, 27 May 2010 - 12:18 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
When you were explaining how to etc, although I cannot understand why, as you usually simply Safely remove hardware by stopping the device, WHAT did you actually do - to explain this to him.
That may sound a silly question but it is without doubt the answer to this problem.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Perhaps a detailed description of the computer would have helped. If it were known that you cannot get the OS to boot up because there are no PS2 ports the thread would have taken a completely different turn.

Next thing to try is on this webpage.

http://articles.tech...11-6031733.html

I think #4 and #10 are your only options at this point.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there are multiple things usb in the bios....are all of them enabled...
did you try disconnecting all the usb devices and then try booting up...
have you tried booting into safe mode...

Edited by happyrock, 27 May 2010 - 06:49 PM.

Sockg02

Sockg02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It is a Dell 5150 desktop with Windows XP media center. I can update details of the mother board etc when I get back home this evening.

This is exactly what I was trying to do;from
Device manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers right clicked on controller 27CC> properties and under the device usage tab selected "disable this device".

There is not PS2 port but a PCI card slot is free. Does this help you to help me?

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try going back to

Device manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers right clicked on controller 27CC> properties and under the device usage tab selected "disable this device

but this time enable it...
nojoy try reinstalling your chipset drivers

Edited by happyrock, 28 May 2010 - 11:01 AM.

Sockg02

Sockg02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks everyone of you for the valuable suggestions. I have added a PCI to USB card to add new USB ports which worked fine. I have then enabled all ports and it is all sorted and working fine as nothing ever happened.

Keep up the good work.

Once agian thanks to everyone.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)