Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed to Load OS.

• Please log in to reply

nohwpro

nohwpro

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Was listening to radio on computer, then got blue screen of death. Rebooted computer now get Error Loading OS. Ran some diags and got:
Error Code: 2000-0142
Error Code: 0142
Hard drive 1 self test unsuccessful.

After looking around dell site a few others seemed I needed a new hard drive, so went and replaced a SATA 500MB with a SATA 1TB drive. Put it in using the Dell Windows XP disk, booted to that, made one big partition, formated (slow not quick) and installed XP. But when it reboots I still get the Error Loading OS.

I think that when it formatted it did not make it a bootable drive and I don't know how to do that.

Help Please.

Dell XPS 630. I really don't want to mess with the old drive as I'm waiting for an enclosure case to arrive and I'm hoping to get the data off of it.

There is another SATA 1TB data second drive in the computer also.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you get the same error code on the new drive or just a message saying "error loading os"

Did the XP setup complete itself entirely or it just formated your drive and installed the files needed for the installation?

Are you sure your new hard drive is your first boot drive, maybe after you formated the drive and it installed the setup files on the drives it then rebooted but if that drive is not your First boot drive then your BIOS is looking for Boot files on your other hard drive hence the "error loading os" message.

Just a thing to check.

Edited by Alzeimer, 28 May 2010 - 04:07 PM.

nohwpro

nohwpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
You are right. After I disconnected the second drive it installed perfectly and when it rebooted it came up fine, so it evidently added the boot information to that drive. Because now with both drives it comes up fine. Now we are in the reloading process. Thanks for your help.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

You are right. After I disconnected the second drive it installed perfectly and when it rebooted it came up fine, so it evidently added the boot information to that drive. Because now with both drives it comes up fine. Now we are in the reloading process. Thanks for your help.

Glad to help