Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My 250G Western Digital is not being recognized

• Please log in to reply

SHISHCO

SHISHCO

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI,

I loaned my 250Gig Western Digital external hardrive to a friend.

She has a MAC and I think she reformatted it and now I cannot get it to be recognized on my Windows XP. :) Is there a way to reformat the external hardrive or is that not likely the problem?

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you,
Max

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Go to START choose RUN and type compmgmt.msc this will open Computer Management then go to Disk Management if you can see your HDD there you can try to format it from there.

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
1. To fix this problem, delete the UpperFilters registry value and the LowerFilters registry value. These values may cause access problems. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2 Locate and then click the UpperFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3 On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310426 (http://support.micro....com/kb/310426/ ) How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003

4 Locate and then click the LowerFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310426 (http://support.micro....com/kb/310426/ ) How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer and then check