Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Puppy Linux Install Troubles

• Please log in to reply

Windows 95

Windows 95

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi there. Well, I was looking around on the internet for a Linux Distro to install on my Compaq Presario 5000 to get rid of the aging Windows ME. I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a disk using a 4x write speed. I put it into the computer, and it booted it up to the splash screen, then it hangs for a little bit, and gets this error isolinux: Disk error 80, AX = 4280, drive 9F. And on a laptop that ran Vista (a Gateway) I tried it. It went past the boot screen just fine, and started doing its checks and it it gave me this message "Performing a 'switch-root' to the layered filesystem.......Kernel Panic- not syncing: attempted to kill init." I don't know much about Linux, so I don't know how to fix these errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
A disk error most often means either a bad burn to cd or a bad iso download. I would try re-burning the iso, using a 1:1 speed and making sure to do nothing else on that PC while the disc is burning. If that fails, I would re-download the ISO file, making sure the PC is not set to sleep (especially the hard drive) while the download is occurring, then reburn using the new ISO with a 1:1 speed.

There's also a really active and friendly community of puppy users who self-support, at http://puppylinux.or.....g Started.htm . Their forum for discussion and support is at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You Might want to give AntiX Mepis a look. I"ve had good luck running it on a variety of older hardware.

Windows 95

Windows 95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

You Might want to give AntiX Mepis a look. I"ve had good luck running it on a variety of older hardware.

Ok, so I burned the AntiX CD, and got it to boot. I installed it on my computer, and now when I boot, it goes through its normal thing, and then I get this: request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000

And then it is blank under that. I installed over it again, deleting the partition, and installing it thinking I just did something wrong, but now I'm not so sure. It did it again after the 2nd install. Any suggestions?

Mr Gray

Mr Gray

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
How much ram does your Compaq have on it? Also which version of Antix did you download? There are several different version and if you don't pick the right one, it's possible the OS won't load properly.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
At the Grub boot screen in Boot Options try apci=off. See if that lets it boot.

Did you download the 686 iso or 486 iso?

Edited by silverbeard, 05 July 2010 - 09:16 AM.