Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer TUrns on, Wont boot into windows

• Please log in to reply

amykrystal

amykrystal

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi! recently I knew something was wrong with my computer, but I ignored it because it was still functioning. Now, however, it has gotten so bad that when I go to log onto windows, i receive an error message and nothing loads. The message says "instruction at "0x00018ce4" referenced memory at "0x00018ce4". the memory could not be "read" Click OK to terminate the program" And the heading of the message says "Svchost.exe Application Error"

Anyways, not sure what my options are?? Or if it's a virus, or just that my computer is a few years old? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,148 posts
  • MVP
See if you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking or just Safe Mode.

Reboot and when you hear the beep or see the pc maker's logo or it tells you to press F8, start slowly tapping the F8 key. Keep tapping until you see the safe mode menu then select Safe Mode with networking. Log on as usual. If that doesn't work try just Safe Mode or Command Prompt.

If Safe Mode with Networking works then run OTL per Step 5 of http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html and then copy and paste your logs.

Also do
1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. (C:\ )
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
The disk check will take at least 30 minutes.

If only Safe Mode works then just do the disk check. Try to boot into regular mode after it finishes.

If Command Prompt is the only thing that works then do:
chkdsk  c:  /r
Then hit Enter. It should run for 30 minutes or so. Try to boot into regular mode after it finishes.
(I use 2 spaces to show where one space goes)
Ron

Edited by RKinner, 29 May 2010 - 10:52 AM.