Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about Hyper-Threading.

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm planning on building a new pc in a few weeks, wife willing, and would like to get some feedback from you.
With Office 2007/2010 is there any benefit to having a CPU with Hyper-Threading?
My CPU choices are between an i5 750 and a i7 920. Don't need the power now but also don't want to build another pc in a year or two.
Thanks.
J

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So far as Office is concerned your choice of processor and whether it supports hyper-threading or not is irrelevant, because Office is only as fast as the typist and it runs fine on single-core processors.

What else is this machine used for?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Yeah, I have office 07 installed on a 2005-era Pentium 4 PC and it works fine.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks to both of you.
We'll also use the pc for music, pictures and videos.
I'm thinking I'll save a few bucks and go with the i5 750, so long as I can find a good mobo that supports USB 3.0.
Enjoy your day.
J

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
The i5 is a stupidly overclockable processor too (as in, we're looking at 3.4 Ghz easy). Very good buy.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
OK Thanks.
I look forward to getting one.
J