Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

links do not open in Office 2007 messages

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Receive message in Outlook 2007 when I click on a link: This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. OS: Vista Browser: IE8. I have applied several fixes but none seem to have worked. :)

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The error message is often misleading and quite irrelevant to the cause. This is often caused when you install Google Chrome then subsequently uninstall it. Chrome removes certain keys in the Windows Registry and does not restore them when you remove it. Previous Chrome users are protesting against Google for this mess all over the internet.

Many people were lured to Chrome for it's speed, until they realised it doesn't have a "Print Preview", a stupid omission.

The only known cure for the hyperlink problem to date is to re-install Google Chrome but don't make it the default browser.

Start IE, make sure it's the default browser.

Hyperlinks in Outlook should now open in IE.

My wife had the exact same problem. After some googling I followed the above instructions and it worked.
I've put her Google Chrome shorcut in a Desktop folder where it's out of sight and therefore unlikely to get
uninstalled again - otherwise the problem will return!

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 28 May 2010 - 01:48 PM.