Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Windows boot on Win7 Ultimate 64

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
This only started a few days ago.

Basically, I press the power button (or restart the computer using the start menu), it then goes through the usual bootup process of the bios, post etc. Nothing unusual here, it's the same it's always been.

Then it gets to the "Windows Starting" screen where the colours appear after about 1-2 seconds... except they now don't appear for about a minute. It's basically hanging on a black screen doing nothing.

I haven't added any new hardware and the only program I can see I've added since this has started was Malwarebytes AntiMalware.

I've scanned for viruses (nothing), I've tried using Windows Startup repair (says it can't find any issues), I defrag at least once a week using Auslogics Defragger, I've run CCleaner (only had 44.6MB to clear as I'm usually pretty onto it), have run RegCure (nothing unusual) and fixed any errors... still it does it. HDD is only around 60-70% full (both C and D partitions), and my system is a new build, the oldest parts being 2 months old.

System specs:

Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (bios version F6)
AMD Phenom II 550
3x1GB OCZ Platinum RAM + 1x1GB of Strontium RAM, all @ 1333Mhz
ATI 5770
Hitachi 500G SATA HDD
OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro PSU
LiteON DVD-RW
Apacer all-in-one card reader

In the back I have plugged into via USB my keyboard, a bluetooth dongle, a webcam, the dock for my mouse, a wireless internet key and a USB extension for the receiver for my wireless mouse.

If you need any more info please ask. And please, I need to solve this!!

Advertisements

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
No replies?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Could someone please reply? I know people can be busy...

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Jaekus-

Sorry, looks like you fell through the cracks.

You mentioned you're using RegCure. Using any type of registry cleaning program is generally not advised. Using these programs often does more harm than good and generally causes problems within the registry cleaner.

Check out this link for a more detailed look at why we recommend inexperienced users don't alter their registry.

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to when it was functioning properly.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
  • A welcome screen will come up. Click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date.
  • Click Next.
  • You will have an option to Select A Restore Point. From here, select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
  • Click Next.
  • On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window, verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
  • Close all open programs and click Next.
  • The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see a ”Restoration Complete” page. Click OK.
  • Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly, please reply back with the results.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ahh, thank you for replying :)

Hmmm, I didn't know that about registry editors. Well, some on my old system did damage and after doing some research I found RegCure was up there with some of the best ones. I have noticed improvements using it, but perhaps it's not as useful as I first thought.

I tried twice to restore but both times it told me it couldn't do it. The second time I did disable my AV, with the same result.

Here's a screenshot

sysrestore.jpg

Needless to say, the problem is still there.

Edited by Jaekus, 31 May 2010 - 06:21 PM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Try having a look at this thread... it's so much easier when Microsoft's Mods explain things and I don't have to write them again... :)

What AV are you using?

Let me know if that helps.

Edited by FNP, 31 May 2010 - 06:29 PM.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks again.

I tried option #2 in that thread. I didn't think option #1 would apply as I don't use Norton, I'm using Avira.

The other thing is the point I'm trying to restore to is Friday, 24/05/2010. I haven't tried another point because the problem occurred after this date, but before the other points I can restore to so it seems a little pointless to restore to a time when I still had the problem, if that makes sense.

Should I be looking to try something else? Someone suggested a format and reinstall, but I really don't want to do this as it does take a lot of time and annoyance to reinstall a bunch of programs again.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Yeah, re-installing can be a pain. I don't blame you.

Have you tried restoring to any other dates before 5/24, or is that the earliest one?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Unfortunately that's the earliest one to restore to. I could try a later one (26/5/10) and see if that does anything, but would it be worth it?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Running a system restore to after a problem started occurring won't change anything.

Let's take a look at what's running at startup.
  • Please download Autoruns for Windows.
  • Extract the Autoruns zip folder contents to a new folder.
  • Double-click autoruns.exe to launch the program.
  • Go to File > Save As, and name it autoruns.txt
  • Remember to save as type: *.txt!
  • Please attach the file to your next reply (remember- it must be a .txt file).

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks, here's the file.

Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   150.96KB   298 downloads

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok... I replaced my stock AMD CPU cooler with a Freezer Pro 7.

Put everything back together, turned on my computer, Windows loaded as normal. Shutdown when I went to work, got home a short while ago, booted normally again.

Weird. Any idea why it's now apparently fixed?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Hmm, I can't say I'm exactly sure what happened, but I'm glad to hear your issue has been resolved.

If any one else has any ideas relating to this issue, please post. I'm sure we're all curious as to a solution.