Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Dell Printer

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello, I have a Dell printer (5100cn) and I'm trying to use it across my home network. Basically all I have done is plugged thye printer into the router (cat5), plugged it into the wall and that is it. Does the printer also have to be connected via USB to a computer on the network? None of the computers can find the printer to even install it or set it up in any way. I have not yet installed drivers for it either and the Dell forum is useless. Thank you for any help you can provide, I really stink at networking!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Nope, your CAT5 connection is your access to the printer. Are you getting a link light (green and amber lights on the ethernet port where you plugged in the CAT5 cable) when it is plugged in? If so, then you have a solid connection to the router and it should be getting an IP address.

The Dell software should actually scan for your printer and install it. What CD's came with it?

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
FINALLY found my original CD that came with the printer. When I put the Dell CD in and it launches, I click "install for use on a network." Then I get this error:

An Error (-5004 : 0x5) has occurred while running the setup

Error Code: -5004 : 0x5
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1003)
pAPP:Dell Printer Installation
PVENDOR:Dell Inc.
PGUID:0DBEA492-57F6-4272-99B8-56F5DB8C7D33
$7.1.100.1248
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) IE 8.0.6001.18702