Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Disk Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

YayforGeeks

YayforGeeks

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong category for this topic...

My flash disk had been working normally on my desktop and laptop for several years. Now, when I insert it into a front usb port (desktop), nothing happens (normally it automatically does its thing) -- the disk drives do not even "know" there is anything plugged in. I tried plugging it into 2 other usb ports and still nada. The printer works in all 3 ports.

The flash disk doesn't work on my laptop either -- the laptop "knows" there's something plugged into it but reports an "i/o" problem. I double checked the ports on both computers using the Device Manager, which reports they are all working properly. I tried restarting both computers, but to no avail.

Also, there was a green light that used to turn on when the flash disk was plugged in. It was on the first time the desktop didn't recognize it but after I took it out to try another port, the little green light never came on again.

Would I be right in assuming there's something wrong with the flash disk? If so, is there anything I can do to fix it and/or recover data? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'd say, you need new flash drive.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Flash memory devices do have a finite number of write/erase cycles before failure. (Typically 10,000 or 100,000).

http://www.corsairme...ar_leveling.pdf (.pdf)

http://www.bress.net...Drive-Last.html

YayforGeeks

YayforGeeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the responses and confirming it is the flash disk -- I understand flash disks can only survive for so long. I'm wondering about date recovery? On one of the links you posted, SpywareDr, the author states:

"I can still mount and read from the drive, but I can no longer write to it. It's nice to know that when a drive dies, it's more likely you just won't be able to write new data to it, rather than complete data loss."

I can't read from my flash disk as it doesn't even open. Is there anything I can do to fix it or at least recover the data?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Check, if Recuva will see it: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

YayforGeeks

YayforGeeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestion -- I tried Recuva but got this response:

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

That's the same error message I get when I try to access the disk from the laptop. Is there anything else I might be able to do?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
IMHO, that memory stick is a total goner...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Ontrack.com > Data Recovery Services
http://www.ontrackda...overy-services/

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
hot swapping flash drives can cause them to become unreadable...
and there is no fix for them...
always use the safely remove icon in the system tray before unplugging ANY usb drives

YayforGeeks

YayforGeeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Nothing worked and it seems, as many of you mentioned, the flash drive is "dead".

Any suggestions on what new flash drive I should get (brand/make)? I understand whatever I get won't last forever, but is there one that's "better" than the others? Or is there something specific I should look for in one?

Thanks again!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have at least one from all the brands listed here and all still work...knock on wood... :)

is there something specific I should look for in one?

yep...lifetime warranty

Edited by happyrock, 07 June 2010 - 12:19 PM.

YayforGeeks

YayforGeeks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the list, happyrock! I'll be sure to ask for a lifetime warranty (haha). Thanks for your help everyone!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)