Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading from 2000 to XP, please help

• Please log in to reply

KevinBaker

KevinBaker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a computer with 2 Drives say C: and D:.
Both have windows 2000 installed in each of them to operate independently.
I want to upgrade to windows xp.
I have moved all my data to D: which is used as secondary drive at present. My questions…

Will D: drive be recognized if I install windows xp on drive C: and then connect back drive D:?
Is there any better way to preserve&transfer the data. I do not have an external drive or another PC.

Kindly Help

Sincerely,

~KB

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
2 Options:

If you want your windows 2000 on drive D: to be just a spare drive from where you can transfer the data from and then reformat the drive then unplgg it and install XP on C: after the completion of the install of XP replug drive D: as a slave drive and you will see it in My Computer of XP. You can transfer all your personal data.

If you desire to have a dual boot with XP on C: and 2000 on D: then leave it plug and install XP on c:
You will be able to boot from either xp or 2000 and when in XP you will still see drive d: with 2000 in My Computer.

KevinBaker

KevinBaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@Alz

Very quick response.
Appreciated.
Thank you.