Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet antivirus sites re-directed, desktop/icons forever to load...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Hi,

Congratulations, your computer appears clean :)

Let's remove the tools we've been using.

Please follow these steps.

-- Step 1 --

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image
-- Step 2 --
  • Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • Click Yes to beginning the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.

Here are some measures you can take to ensure that your computer remains clean.

1. Updates

Windows Updates

It is essential that you regularly check and install the latest Windows Updates. Vulnerabilities within Windows can leave your computer open to infection. Regular updates are released to fix these security vulnerabilities. It is recommended that you set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

• Click Start
  • Select Control Panel
  • Click on Automatic (recommended)
  • Set the day and time for the update check. Set this to a time when your computer will normally be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.
Java Updates

As with Windows, Java also needs to be regularly updated to fix security vulnerabilites. You can download the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from here. Download, install and reboot your computer. You also need to uininstall older versions of Java.

• Click Start
  • Select Control Panel
  • Select Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
Adobe Updates

You should ensure you use the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader and install any security updates that are released. You can download the latest reader and updates from here.

Other Updates

Regularly check for updates for all your security programs including firewall, antivirus, antispyware etc

2. Security Programs

Here is a list of security programs that I would recommend.

Firewall

A firewall is essential to stop hackers infiltrating your computer. The following firewalls are free for personal use. Do not install more than one firewall.

Zone Alarm is an excellent free basic firewall which is very easy to use.
Online-Armor Free is a more advanced firewall which includes a Host Intrusion Protection System (HIPS). This ensures that unrecognised programs will not run unless you give permission.

Antivirus

An antivirus program is essential. The following antivirus programs are free for personal use. Do not use more than one antivirus and always update virus definitions regularly.

AVG
Avira Free
Avast

Anti-Malware

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware MBAM is an excellent anti-malware tool that should be updated and a Quick Scan performed regularly. A Full Scan does not have to be carried out on such a regular basis as the developers aim to detect the vast majority of malware with the Quick Scan. The scanner is free for on-demand scans only.

Ad-Aware, Spybot, SuperAntispyware and A-Squared Free are also very good anti-malware programs that are free for on-demand scans. Spybot has a real-time protection feature called TeaTimer.

Prevention

SpywareBlaster is an excellent free tool for preventing the installation of spyware.
SpywareGuard offers real-time protection so that spyware is detected and blocked before it can do any harm.

Cleaner

ATF Cleaner removes temporary Internet Explorer, Firefox and Windows files.

Browser

Firefox is an alternative browser to Internet Explorer and is more secure.
NoScript is an add-on for Firefox and prevents execution of malicious scripts.
MVPS is a HOSTS file to replace your existing file. This prevents you connecting to a list of well-known ad sites.

Advertisements

gridiron

gridiron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hammerman, Kaspersky found two rootkit infections though - how does that mean I'm clean? Thanks :)

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Hi,

One of the detected files was deleted by Combofix and was removed from your system when you uninstalled Combofix. The other one is in your restore points which were cleared and a new clean restore point created, also when Combofix was uninstalled. Good question though!

gridiron

gridiron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hammerman, thanks for all the help. I have added a firewall, kept avast, and have MBAM, Spyware blaster and Spybot installed. So hopefully I won't run into this situation again. Thanks again for all of the help!!! :)

gridiron

gridiron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hammerman, unfortunately less than 20 minutes after I wrote that last post my computer is back to sh*t. It takes FOREVER to shut down and start up again (like the original problem). I installed the Online Armor firewall, and had to restart. Upon doing so, it loaded fine. Then I went to shut down the computer for the night and it took FOREVER. I started it back up to make sure it wasn't a problem, and it took FOREVER to load (hanging on just showing the desktop with no icons showing). I shutdown "explorer.exe" and re-ran it thru the task manager and the desktop with icons then showed up. Now on my task bar avast, online armor, etc aren't showing up. Very odd...

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Hi,

Online-Armor sometimes needs at least 2 reboots to sort itself out. If you continue to have problems, uninstall OA and see if things return to normal.

gridiron

gridiron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hammerman = genius! Thanks! I restarted my computer a handful of times and OA was still slowing everything down. Once I uninstalled it rebooted fine and I downloaded ZoneAlarm instead. Thanks again for all the help!

Awesome job, thank you!!!!

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Glad to help. Stay safe :)

hammerman

hammerman

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.