Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98se Not Showing In Programs

• Please log in to reply

NJMom130

NJMom130

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi!

I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reload Windows 98SE. When I look to see what programs are loaded under Add/Remove programs the only thing showing is my program for my Wireless Notebook adapter. I am having problems connecting to the internet and wondering if WIndows 98SE did not completly load and that is the reason for my other problem which I posted under Networking.

Please advise what I need to do.

Thanks

Nancy

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you get any error messages while installing Windows 98SE?

NJMom130

NJMom130

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What happened was I had Windows 98SE installed and attempted to upgrade to Windows XP Home edition. It attempted to install and said that there was not enough memory for XP or possible corrupted files on my CD for XP. So it asked if I wanted to reload Windows 98. There was a .dll file that was missing but didn't mark it down. It then asked if I wanted to reformat my hard drive and I said yes. It reformatted the hard drive and then continued to install Windows 98SE. No error messages after that. When the missing .dll file came up they suggested I do repair. Should I do a repair or should I try to reinstall Windows 98SE again?

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Since you've gone this far and reformatted, I'd recommend you do a clean install of XP. Upgrade installs rarely work very well, and in the long run you'll be much happier with XP. :D

First let's figure out the memory error. How much memory do you have? (Start -> Control Panel -> System, read the last line) You may have enough, or may just need to add some more. Memory is easy to install and a pretty cheap upgrade. <_<

NJMom130

NJMom130

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have 128 mb of Ram

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I have 128 mb of Ram

That's enough memory to install XP without any trouble. Maybe the message was that you didn't have enough room on your hard drive (1.5gb is recommended). This may be especially true if you selected the option to save your Windows 98 files.

Click Here to see an article on performing a clean install. Please reply with any questions. <_<