Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy XP Tweaks

• Please log in to reply

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
;) whoa! :tazz: that gave me a scare...

Advertisements

98webp

98webp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey can any1 help me find a reason for why my windows xp is running slow. when i restart the computer and the screen comes up with windows xp and the little green bar goes across the green bar goes across between 34 and 38 times before it loads to the next stage and i want to fix this without reformating my computer. I have run various tests on it like avg anti virus, speed disk, spyware things etc and i have also freed up alot of space but nothing seems to be working. I have 34 processes running on windows task manager which is not really alot compared with some people so i dont know what to do??? if an1 can help please email me or leave a reply on this site

Thanks 98webp ([email protected])

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Please create your own topic here:

http://www.geekstogo...2003_NT-f5.html

This thread is not for posting problems. Thank you.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

clayton_trini

clayton_trini

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Anyone ever looked at blackviper.com tweaks?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Nope, but I will check it out.

-E

dejaviv

dejaviv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would LOVE to change the delay of the Start menu, which has been annoying me.

However, could i kindly be directed to the directory "Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay" ?? Where to find this target?

Thanks for the help!

- Ignorant Lappy User -

Menu Speed---------
You might want to change the delay you notice when you click the Start menu.Go to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay. The default value is 400. Set it to 0 to remove the delay completely, but if you do that it will be nearly impossible to move the mouse fast enough not to activate All Programs if you mouse over it en route to your final selection. Pick a number that suits your style, make the change, and then test it until you find a good compromise between speed and usability.

Place Windows Kernel into RAM---------
It’s a given that anything that runs in RAM will be faster than an item that has to access the hard drive and virtual memory. Rather than have the kernel that is the foundation of XP using the slower Paging Executive functions, use this hack to create and set the DisablePagingExecutive DWORD to a value of 1. Perform this hack only if the system has 256MB or more of installed RAM!
Edit the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive to 1 to disable paging and have the kernel run in RAM (set the value to 0 to undo this hack). Exit the Registry and reboot.

View Post

ryans

ryans

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Just joined the forun and tried out the tweaks. Great stuff. Hope to learn much more on this site.

Thanks

:tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
dejaviv, are you still looking for

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay

follow the following:

look at your screen,
press the windows button then the "R" button(should bring up the run function)
in the window that pops up write "regedit" and press the "OK" button(brings up the registary)
press "Ctrl" then the "F" button(should bring up the find command function)
write: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay
press Find Next

Hope this helps :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Here is another Untold Windows tips and secrets!.

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi there, great tweaks but HELP <grin>. Turned off indexing and -- in the middle of it unindexing, it told me of several files (ext .PF) that it 'couldn't unindex' so I chose to "bypass all" (or whatever the exact wording is) and...next thing I know...the unindexing window had disappeared! I wasn't sure if it completed. So I did the second part of the unindex tweak and, instead of finding it "Running"...I found it said "Started". Now I am wondering if all 'index' attributes were removed and...if I now disable indexing entirely, will it matter if files are left with the attribute on? Thanks for your tweaks and your help. This site is great.

Advertisements

maxoys45

maxoys45

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I really like the tweaks but i didnt realise the "turning off hibernation" toke so long ;)
i would never normally post but i have nothing to do because of it :tazz:
thanx Smokey

maxoys45

maxoys45

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh God!
While it was doing the hibernation thing it said to alot of files
"An error occured applying attributes to the file:
Windows\...\.... (lots of files)"

They were all .pf that failed i think
HELP ME :'(

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
start menu i know that .. but thnx

soulsword23

soulsword23

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i have used most of all the tweaks said and thank you all for them bye bye :tazz:

dejaviv

dejaviv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
fleamailman, thanks for the help!

I had my "start window delay adjusted" and... its opening speed suits me usage better now! :tazz: