Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got a Virus will not run any programs or open exe files [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 930 posts
How is the computer running now? Please run one last scan for me:

Posted Image Using Internet Explorer or Firefox, visit Kaspersky Online Scanner

1. Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.

2. To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:
  • Close any open programs
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan. Click HERE to see how to disable the most common antivirus programs.
3. Click Run at the Security prompt.

The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
Please be patient as this can take quite a long time to download.
  • Once the update is complete, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
    • Spyware, adware, dialers, and other riskware
    • Archives
    • E-mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
  • Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
  • Click View report... at the bottom.
  • Click the Save report... button.

Posted Image

• Change the Files of type dropdown box to Text file (.txt) and name the file KasReport.txt to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply
Please include the following in your next post:
  • Kaspersky log

Advertisements

robinsontb21

robinsontb21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Computer appears to be running back to normal the only thing I did notice is when this happened I tried to do a system restore but the only restore point was the day of the actual infection.

Kaspersky log Text File:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7.0: scan report
Monday, May 31, 2010
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13
Last database update: Sunday, May 30, 2010 23:42:00
Records in database: 4193865
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan e-mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
G:\
H:\

Scan statistics:
Objects scanned: 84449
Threats found: 0
Infected objects found: 0
Suspicious objects found: 0
Scan duration: 02:40:56

No threats found. Scanned area is clean.

Selected area has been scanned.

RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 930 posts
Right, it appears that the malware disabled System Restore. We will get that now, along with some other cleanup and housekeeping:

Posted Image Turn on System Restore

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.

Posted Image Your Adobe reader needs to be updated. Please visit Adobe's site and grab the newest version.

Go HERE to scan for any other out of date and/or vulnerable applications on your computer and follow the instructions given for updating them.

Posted Image Clean up with OTL:
  • Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
  • Manually delete any remaining logs or tools.
Posted Image Finally, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to help you stay clean in the future:
  • Restart any anti-malware programs that we disabled while we were cleaning your machine.
  • Keep your antivirus application current and updated. Also, hang on to MBAM. Scan with them at least weekly.
  • Avoid using P2P programs. Refer back to my earlier post for more information.
  • Consider running in a limited user account. See this post for more information.
  • Please carefully review the information in our Preventing Malware and Safe Computing thread located HERE
Please post once more so I know you are all set and I can close this thread. Good luck and stay safe!

robinsontb21

robinsontb21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you for all your help and suggestions believe I'm all set and good to go now thanks again & best wishes happy holidays

RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 930 posts
You're welcome. Take care.

RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 930 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.