Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 98 unsafe?

• Please log in to reply

roland

roland

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a question about a Win 98 system riddled with spyware and trojans. It has been on a cable modem for some time now with absolutely no protection of any kind! AdAware found 351 critical objects and AVG found 24 trojans (but then crashed before being able to clean them!).

Is it worth cleaning up and then setting up standard protection or is Win 98 inherently less secure than XP and will easily become polluted again?

Any opinions welcome!

- Roland

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
depends on you.

All computers are "unsafe"in the wrong hands.

Win98, technically, is less targeted then winxp, and may be safer if you take adequare precautions.

roland

roland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Interesting that it is less targeted than XP. Does 98 still get Windows updates or is it no longer supported in that regard?

I practice safe surfing with all of my computers - it's my friends and family I can't control!! (But I try!).

Thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ie6 still gets updates, so that part is protected, but windows 98 does not get updates anymore. I don't want to give the impression that win98 is not targeted at all.

Windows is by it's nature a problem, but I will say that windows xp/2000 can be harder to clean.

Again, it's the user.

I have had windows 98 machine on broadband with no antivirus, no malware protection, no firewall for months

...and no problems.