Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Symptom Tree Error Codes

• Please log in to reply

rodney58

rodney58

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dell PC running Windows XP. On boot up it stops at a "dos" screen. "Windows could not start because following file is missing or corrupt "<windows root>\system 32\hal.dll".
I ran the "Symptom Tree" and it came up with:
error code OFOO : 0244 MSG:BLOCK 92783586 115456071 and
error code OFOO : 1A44 MSG:BLOCK 92783586 115456071
I ran another check on the drive (didn't write the name down) and it came up with,
DRIVE 0 : MAXTOR 6Y080M0- FAIL RETURN CODE :7

I have a service contract with Dell. The tech said he couldn't fix it because it's a hardware problem. I've got a tech half way around the world telling me I need a new hard drive and memory chip.
How does a "missing or corrupt file" translate to hardware problems? I have no way of knowing what the codes mean. How do I know he's not running up a "commission" selling me hardware?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Well, for one thing, the techs at Dell know full well you can buy a new drive from from any PC hardware outlet, so I doubt their motive is to make commission on the sales of new drives. Hard drives are universal fit regardless of PC brand.

It's quite possibel for a corrupt file and/or 'block' errors to translate to a failed hard drive since it's the drive failing that causes the corruption. Over time, if you continue to use a failing drive, more files and blocks will be reported as 'missing or corrupted'.

If you want confirmation that their diagnosis is correct (failed hard drive) you can download the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility from their website. The diagnostic utility boots from a CD and runs entirely in RAM so it doesn't matter if Windows won't start.

The Maxtor brand is now owned by Seagate and you can download the diagnostic utility from them here:

Seagate SeaTools for DOS

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

Make sure you download the DOS version, as the Windows version is useless if Windows won't start (unless you fit the ailing drive as a secondary drive in a fully working Windows PC and test it there).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 28 May 2010 - 12:26 PM.