Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

running 7 at home but 2000 at work with trouble

• Please log in to reply

martens24

martens24

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I currently use Windows 2000 (I KNOW!) at work and have begun working part time from home. My company uses Citrix so that I can remotely access my desktop at home (where I have Windows 7).

I have a fairly basic question: when I am logged in remotely at home and new mail arrives, there is a very short beep which does not grab my attention unless I am directly in front of my computer. I would like to change the default sound for new mail notification. Is that possible?

Any help would be grately appreciated!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Right-click an empty area on the Desktop & choose "Personalise".

Click "Sounds" at the bottom of the personalisation box.

Scroll down to "New Mail Notification" and highlight it.

Choose a different sound from the selection bar below.

Preview the sound by clicking "Test"

When you're happy with your new choice, click "Apply"

You may want to "Save" your new scheme with a different name before clicking 'OK'

Your chosen new mail sound will probably be duplicated by some other system event, so you may have to do a bit of trial error to avoid getting misled when you hear it.

Note: You might ask "Why not simply select a different scheme?" to get a different "New Mail" sound, but that has no effect because the default "New Mail" sound is a constant throughout all the schemes.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 28 May 2010 - 12:46 PM.

martens24

martens24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I tried your suggestion first before posting this question and unfortunately that doesn't work.

When I select "new mail notification" on my computer (Windows 7) and click "test" I hear the guitar string sound which was already set for my computer. However, because I am using Citrix and remotely accessing my work computer which has Windows 2000, when new mail arrives through my work email, all I hear is a short beep (kind of like a drop of water).

My guess is that the new mail notification under personalize/sounds, works for my system only and the default sound for the remote access of my work profile is stored elsewhere. I am wondering how to change the other sound...