Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

Joan A

Joan A

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've screwed up my XP by deleting and/or changing some things to do with my video card, not sure what, and now when I double-click on a desktop icon, it selects all the ones above it and opens all of them. I've also lost lower case, my right side scroll bar in Mozilla, can't right click on an icon and delete it, etc. This happens in both my WinXP and Win98 (I have a hot key system, so they share the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse).

If I do a system restore to before I ran the Ultimate Troubleshooter, what possible problems will I have? I've never done this before.

Joan

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The easiest and most certain solution is to change back what you changed.
I appreciate you cannot now remember what exactly you did.
If I may offer advice, ALWAYS establish a restore point before making any changes.
To do so click Start
hold mouse on all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
click create restore point.
DO THE SAME NOW up to system restore but this time restore my computer to an earlier time. Scroll through the dates and select a system checkpoint and restore to then.
The only problem you will have is that it will not then have any programs that you have installed SINCE that date.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 May 2010 - 02:53 PM.

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Will it restore EVERYTHING? Even changes to my video card program? I had The Ultimate Troubleshooter delete what it normally deletes to the recycle bin, so after the problem, I restored all the deleted files, of which there were probably 2 or 3 times what it normally has.

I haven't installed anything after the last restore point, so that's not a problem.

What do you mean by 'hold mouse on all programs'? Click/select?

Joan

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
System Restore deals with system (Windows) files only.
It may fix some of your issues. The extent of the fix depends on how badly you broke it.
It won't hurt to try it.

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Aha, I had assumed it restored everything. Thanks for that info. Since the problem is on both PCs, it can't be a Windows system problem. So now what? Should I start a new thread?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Can you temporarily disconnect your "hot key system" (kvm?)?

If you can, and the problem then disappears, the problem must be your "hot key system".

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
What is a hot key system and how do I disconnect it?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I don't know. You're the one that mentioned it in your first post:

(I have a hot key system, so they share the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse).

Edited by SpywareDr, 29 May 2010 - 05:10 AM.

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Oops! You're correct, it's a KVM system. My first thought was specific hot keys that do special functions, e.g., CTRL something. Anyway, I'll try that. Thanks.

Joan A

Joan A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Well, that was certainly a duh moment. It was a loose connection in my KVM switch. And all is back to normal.

Thanks for all you input. I don't come here very often, but when I do, I always get an answer. Thanks again.

Joan

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Haha, that was simple.
Way to go SpywareDr :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip