Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to install a Remote Desktop Application

• Please log in to reply

yobraniac

yobraniac

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I hope I am posting in the correct forum please let me know if I am not. I am looking to install a remote desktop application that will let me access my grandmothers computer while i am at my own home (I live about 45 min from her plus I work). She often has questions or needs things done to her computer that I can't see or fix over the phone. If I had some way of accessing her computer from my own I could prevent her from doing things that might make her computer crash....again. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition on my desktop but I have Vista on my laptop and my grandmother also has Vista. Any help would be really great!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
I know you can administer remote computer in XP Prof, server 2000, but not sure about Media Centre or Vista.

In help and support, type in remote access, do some browsing.
I was thinking of using it for a home network but it was to technical for me.

A goggle search gives heaps of information and CNET Downloads.com have free software to do the job.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to geeks to go:)

Try -->>logmein

It has a free version and a paid version. I use the free version alot!!!

it is a great program you will like it.

Just setup an account with them and add your grandmas computer to your account.(it has to be done on her end)
to do this: You just have to log in from her computer to "logmein" and add her computer to your account once you do that you will be able to access her computer.

Good luck

Edited by cbarnard, 29 May 2010 - 01:45 AM.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks a lot!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I also use the free version of Logmein.

Not to the extreme that Cbarnard does, but it is quite easy to set up and use

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have successfully installed logmein on 3 computers! My laptop, desktop, and my grandmothers desktop. It's a really great tool and now I can assist her with out having to drive all the way down there.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thats great.
Thanks for letting us know.

123runner

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I'm glad to hear that you got everything working.

I use Logmein extensivly!

I have a small computer shop of my own, and I offer remote assistance to many people. It helps keep costs down so much because you don't have to drive. I use other programs also, but log me in is my primary tool for service.

I also have SR citizens in my queue and they are always calling looking for help, answers to the simplest questions. It is so much easier to see what they are talking about and walk them through the answer.

Again congrats, good luck, and thank you for using Geeks to go. We love to help.