Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New system turns on (no BIOS beeps) buts monitors sleeps

• Please log in to reply

fenrir888

fenrir888

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am in the middle of building an new computer (my first), and i've checked about 8 times (once with a friend who has built a system before) and i believe all the wires are hooked up how they are supposed to be and all hardware is put in correctly.. Yet, whenever i turn the pc on the monitor remains in sleep mode. I don't receive a beep from the BIOS and it does NOT turn itself off. I noticed in my system that my RAM requires 1.9V, but my motherboard supports 1.8V, is this the cause of the problem? If not, does anyone know what is causing my PC to not work correctly and how to fix it?

My system has the following:
-GIGABYTE GA-M68M-S2P AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
-EVGA 512-P3-N987-TR GeForce 9800 GT HDMI 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Power Supply Unit
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-4096K
-LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If you check at the Ram Qualified Vendor Lists http://www.gigabyte....ga-m68m-s2p.pdf for your board you will see that your model is not supported.

Is it the reason its is not starting maybe, usually if the BIOS detects no ram or broken ram the bios will give you beeps to tell you but I am not sure what it is suppose to do if it is unsupported brand name ram.

So maybe you can swap your present ram with qualified ram to see if you can start the post sequence normally.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you made sure both power connectors from the PSU to the Motherboard are connected?
You should have the 20+4 and 4\8 pin connector from the PSU to the motherboard.
Page 7 of your motherboard manual should be the layout of the mother.
The ATX 24+4 pin connector is toward the back of the motherboard right by the IDE connector.
4 pin atx connector is between the kb\mouse and the cpu connections
Are these both connected?

fenrir888

fenrir888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes both the 20+4 pin and the 12V 4-pin connectors are in place.

right now i am trying to run the system without the vid card,HD,or cd/dvd drive, but i am still recieving the same result. so the problem is being caused by the Mobo, the RAM, or the processor, i am scared to remove the processor because i have no thermal grease lying around to place onto the processor once i have removed the heatsink.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you probably need bench test the motherboard outside of the case.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility
Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Gary-S

Gary-S

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a similar problem, i bought the same motherboard as a (new) bundle from ebay with ram and cpu, however, when I put it all together the monitor just will not come out of sleep mode, it's not the monitor as i have tried this by plugging it into my laptop.

I have tried this external test and still nothing, the fans spin and everything so it is getting power (new psu too), I have built several computers with no problems previous to this and had already used standoffs anyway so I couldn't see that being the problem, do you think I have just been sold a duff mobo?

any advice greatly appreciated!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i bought the same motherboard as a (new) bundle from ebay with ram and cpu,

Never a good idea and I would never buy computer parts from ebay since you get no warranty on the parts. When bench testing it you should make sure the mobo has one or two psu connections as one without the other and the mobo will not boot.
Is the memory slots color coded and if so are you putting memory in the same slots?
Is the memory seated properly and the cpu is also?

Gary-S

Gary-S

• Pip
  • 3 posts

i bought the same motherboard as a (new) bundle from ebay with ram and cpu,

Never a good idea and I would never buy computer parts from ebay since you get no warranty on the parts. When bench testing it you should make sure the mobo has one or two psu connections as one without the other and the mobo will not boot.
Is the memory slots color coded and if so are you putting memory in the same slots?
Is the memory seated properly and the cpu is also?

I normally wouldn't buy them from ebay either but they were a business seller and checked out at companies house, though it now seems their website has disappeared....typical, if it has "had it" I will try phoning them to see if their number is still live.

When I bench tested I connected both the 20+4 pin connector and the 4 pin ATX connector, 1 x memory (1GB DDR2 800), the CPU (Athlon x 2 250), cpu heatsink/fan, monitor via onboard graphics, the internal speaker and that was it, then briefly bridged the power switch connectors to turn it on and it powered, cpu fan was spinning, etc. but nothing on the monitor and no error beeps.

The memory slots are not colour coded but the board markings state ddr1 and ddr2, I placed the memory stick in ddr1, but have tried it in both slots "in situe" in the case, I have reseated the memory several times to make sure and yes, have also reseated the cpu and re-applied paste it seems like I have been sold at least one faulty component, next question is which one?

I know the memory could cause non boot issues, but I have tried some of the ram from my old computer with the same result, so unless that's all gone bad too that shouldn't be the problem, though the board and cpu could cause the same issues, but could it perhaps be the psu? as the problem here is they were all new so hard to find which is faulty.

thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doubtful it is the PSU considering it is actually starting.
Do you gave a video card you could try?

Gary-S

Gary-S

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I have tried a video card and the same result unfortunately, what if the power isn't distributed correctly?

Edited by Gary-S, 19 February 2011 - 02:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's possible but without being able to get into windows we can't run diagnostics on the PSU and see.
You could try borrowing a PSU at least the same wattage as what you have and see if that will work then.