Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making CD's

• Please log in to reply

wpr

wpr

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
If anyone has any advise I could use some help.

At our church we just started to make CDs. We bought a CD recorder but it only makes the masters in the WAV format. I don't mind but some of the services run longer than 80 minutes so it would take more than one CD. It is very inconvenient to try and swap them in mid service.

I would then convert the tracks into MP3 using ITunes. Before using ITunes several people told me that they could not play the CDs. I am not sure if they could not play tracks that were in the MP3 format or if they could not play them when I used Windows to burn the new CDs.

We went out and bought another recorder that makes the masters in the MP3 format but unfortunately I can not move the tracks over to ITunes. Do to the prior problem of people not being able to play the CDs I am a bit concerned if I use another program to make copies. Another problem for me is that we have three services a week. When they are in the MP3 format I can put all three services on to one CD.

I need some way to put the tracks from 3 CDs on to my computer and then create a new CD for the congregation members.
If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
at least you're not using audio cassettes.

people may have been having issues playing the MP3 CDs if they were attempting to play these CDs in older cd players (like car cd players etc..). most newer cd players are capable of reading MP3 CDs, virtually all OLD (pre-2000 at least) cd players are NOT capable of playing MP3 CDs (some will even refuse to eject them).

did the cd mastering contraption (the new one with the mp3s) come with any software? The device MAY put some kind of DRM on the disk that iTunes doesn't like. have you tried using windows media player to rip the music from the cd to your pc?

wpr

wpr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
dsenette,
Thank you for the reply.
I am fairly certain that the majority of people who can not play the cds do not have mp3 players.

The cd recorder did not come with any software.

When I was first making the cds I used Windows Media to rip the new cds but moved to ITunes for a couple of reasons.

1. I found it easier to put the date, title, author on to all the tracks thru ITunes.
2. I stopped having issues with others not being able to play the cds when I did. Some of this is due to explaining the difference of a regular cd player and one that plays mp3. But there were a few people that had mp3 players who told me that they could not play the cds when I ripped them in Windows but could when I moved to ITunes.