Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP Mini Logs In/Logs Out Immediately

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ceri

ceri

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all: Looking for some help. I have a Refurbished HP Mini 1030NR, running XP. It boots up to the logon screen, then when I put password in for user account, it tells me its booting up, the logs out and kicks me back to the logon screen. Here's what I've done:

1. Tried safe mode (with and without command line)- didn't work
2. Used NoviCorp Win to Flash to be able to use a transfer XP OS files to a USB flash drive so I could try some of the ideas I've seen posted here. I transfer was successful and I can get into the Recovery console.
3. I've tried the "userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe" idea from http://www.geekstogo...Off-t15771.html with no luck
4. I've tried the "D:cdi386" idea but the command isn't recognized (http://www.geekstogo...ff-t267224.html)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd like to be able to backup my data files and then just reinstall XP. It looks like I could use Puppy Linux to do this but I'm not sure how to use it when I don't have a disk drive on the Mini. Is it possible to burn this to a USB drive and use it that way? I don't currently have access to an external optical drive to make the process easier.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Cindy

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi ceri ... :) ..:)
does your model have a SSD drive as the main drive
go here to Reinstalling Windows XP on Mini Notebooksand see if it helps...

ceri

ceri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks happyrock! I actually ended up after many hours of searching and trial, installing NoviCorp Win to Flash. This program allowed me to transfer the XP OS CD to a flash drive and I was able to reinstall windows. We ended up losing the data on the HD as I had to do a full reinstall. I tried a number of backdoor techniques through the reinstall console with no luck. Luckily the machine only has 16 gigs and all that was lost was a few itunes albums!

I actually tried going through the HP instructions and even contacting HP tech support who basically told me I needed to buy an optical drive :).

So, a semi-happy ending, but the high point is that I found geekstogo--so now I have a great starting point for any other issues (which I'm sure will happen as the neighborhood has discovered I enjoy troubleshooting computers as a hobby) :)

The only other thing I need to do is close down this thread? How does that happen?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

so now I have a great starting point for any other issues (which I'm sure will happen as the neighborhood has discovered I enjoy troubleshooting computers as a hobby

I'm sure they will keep you busy

I will close this topic