Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Printer Sharing Issue

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to use a shared printer on my network and I'm at a point where I clearly don't have the know-how to go any further. Here is the setup. I have a computer with Windows 7 that is wired to a printer and to a router. This is computer A.

I have two other computers, B and C. Both use Windows Vista and are wirelessly connected to my home network. Computer B was set up to use the shared printer on computer A by a tech guy in my town a while back. Computer B has no problem printing on the shared printer over the shared network.

I'm being ambitious and trying to set up computer C myself to use the shared printer. I have been able to get computer C to recognize that there is a shared printer on the network by selecting a shared printer by name. Once I click Next it takes a little while and then gives me the following error message:

"The server for the 'HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.0)' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver."

I don't understand the error message. I would guess the "server" is probably computer A or the printer and if it were not the correct printer driver, I don't understand why computers A and B both can print.

Anway, I downloaded the driver onto computer C from HP's website for 5.1 (I don't if it matters that I grabbed a newer driver). When I tried to install it on computer C it acts like I need to be connected to printer to finish installation. Needless to say, I still haven't made it passed that error message.

If anyone knows what to do at this point, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!