Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive

• Please log in to reply

ameer

ameer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Can Someone please help me out .... I cannot get my floppy drive to work it keeps giving me a message "please insert a disk in drive a:" i tried changing the cable but one leaves the drive light on but gives me the same message and the ther way does not give me a light on but it still gives the above error, can someone please give the solution if anyone knows....

Thanx

new dude on the forums.....

ameer
:tazz:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
A new or borrowed working floppy drive is the easiest way to troubleshoot this problem. They are cheap and easy to fit. A 'no brainer' as the yanks say.

ameer

ameer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
tried that but still does not work i believe it is probably the way i connected it.....but thanx
ameer

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Is the correct cable connected to the mobo?

ameer

ameer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes it is but this may be wrong which end goes to the mother board the twisted one or does that go into the drive.......tried both but does not seem to work
ameer
:tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
the red stripe on the ribbon(wider) cable goes to pin 1 on the mother board and pin 1 on the floppy drive. see if pin 1 is identified on the mother board.

at the floopy drive, the red stripe will usually be adjacent to the red wire of the power cable.

also look for bent pins on the mother board connector.

if you still have problems, you might do as pip22 suggested - try another floppy drive. or try your floppy drive in another computer. before disconnecting any cables, record the cable configuration so that cables are not reversed and good hardware stops working.

ameer

ameer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
which one attaches to the floppy the one with the twist in it or the other one....one side has a twist in it does that go to the mother board or the floppy
ameer

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
the 'twist' could vary from one computer to another. please look at the red stripe on the ribbon cable and the red wire on the power cable at the floppy drive.
are they next to each other when connected to the floppy drive?

since the cable was replaced, see if the red stripe is going to pin 1 on the mother board.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

The "twist" goes to the floppy connection..

If your cable was connected wrong, the light on the floppy would remain on all the time.. Does it??

Murray

ameer

ameer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no it does not but t still tells me to insert a disc when there is one already there

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is the disk formatted?? Does it have something on it??

Have you tried the disk in another floppy drive??

Murray

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I think it's time to do as pip22 suggested in post # 2 - try another floppy drive.

can you borrow one from a friend?

can you try your floppy drive in a freind's computer?

one other thought - try another disk before doing anything else