Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Daughters Eee PC laptop went down.

• Please log in to reply

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Currently I can get to bios and no further. When trying to get further it says "Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."
PC has no disk drive and my flash drive is only one gig and can not hold the recovery disk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Tigereye

Tigereye

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I might be able to help you, but please post the model of the PC. I'm assuming it's a netbook, because it does not have a cd drive?

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Its an ASUS Eee PC 1005PEB. It is a net-book, I appreciate any help you can give.

antechmrt

antechmrt

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

PC has no disk drive

What do you mean by the above statement?
What happened to the HD?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

"Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

Sounds like the hard drive has died, (as ALL hard drives WILL do), and it needs to be replaced.

Once the hard drive has been replaced, an Operating System (such as Windows) will need to be installed on the hard drive.

In order to do this, the computer will need to be setup to boot from a external device that has a bootable, Operating System installation routine on it. (For example, an external USB CD/DVD drive with a bootable Windows XP|Vista|7 CD/DVD in it).

That's it, follow the on-screen prompts to install the Operating System to the new hard drive.

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
@antechmrt Its a netbook does not come with a cd/dvd drive

SpywareDr Its a pretty new cpu less than 6 months old.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Quickgrif...

What operating system is installed on the netbook?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode from the Advanced Boot Options screen? (The Advanced Boot Options can be accessed by tapping the F8 key during boot up.)

wannabe1

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

SpywareDr Its a pretty new cpu less than 6 months old.

If it's still under warranty, let them repair it.

If you attempt the repair, you may well void the warranty.

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Hello Quickgrif...

What operating system is installed on the netbook?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode from the Advanced Boot Options screen? (The Advanced Boot Options can be accessed by tapping the F8 key during boot up.)

wannabe1

No luck on safe mode. If I could get into that I could fix it. It has no options for Advanced Boot Options. It has windows 7 basic.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've seen the ASUS Boot Booster cause similar problems.

In the BIOS Setup, under the Boot section, is Boot Booster listed? Is it enabled or disabled?

Do you have important files on the machine?

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I've seen the ASUS Boot Booster cause similar problems.

In the BIOS Setup, under the Boot section, is Boot Booster listed? Is it enabled or disabled?

Do you have important files on the machine?

She has no important files on it. No boot booster listed in BIOS.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Some ASUS netbooks have the option to run a system recovery from a recovery partition on the hard drive. To access this partition and start the recovery, press the F9 key during bootup...press it only once. If your machine has a recovery partition, you should be presented with a "Recovery System" dialog window...in this window, choose "Recovery".

If your machine has no recovery partition, your best bet would be to take the machine back to where you purchased it and have them warranty the machine as was suggested earlier.

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Some ASUS netbooks have the option to run a system recovery from a recovery partition on the hard drive. To access this partition and start the recovery, press the F9 key during bootup...press it only once. If your machine has a recovery partition, you should be presented with a "Recovery System" dialog window...in this window, choose "Recovery".

If your machine has no recovery partition, your best bet would be to take the machine back to where you purchased it and have them warranty the machine as was suggested earlier.

Thanks for all the help I will give that a try and if not will take it back