Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen

• Please log in to reply

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
eek :/

can you recommend any good tool that tests ram/hdd in less than 60 hours?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
BTW, I'd also replace CMOS battery, who knows...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingc...opic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

================================================================================
=================

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
guess it also works to put the bootable iso's on a bootable sd-card which my netbook (without cd-drive) supports to boot from?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Ahh, netbook....hmmm...I've never done it.
Give it a shot...

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i'll do later :) fed up with usb/network installation of xp already.. i'll post the results when i am finished.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No problem :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...get USB-Boot-Tester.exe....it includes Memtest86+...complete instructions are at the link...
test your ram

Edited by happyrock, 30 May 2010 - 05:36 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thanks happyrock :)

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
did one pass of memtest out of curiosity and it showed no errors. going to make another 8 passes in the night.
tomorrow definately going to test the hdd if i figure out how to put it on sd-card. didnt work out so far, it wont boot from sd even tho i formated it with hp's tool and put the files contained in iso or floppy img on the card. i have a fujitsu sata drive but f. only has tools for ide/scsi so i want to use hitachis tool. i read it works for fujitsu.

just now, i had another bluescreen while i carried my netbook to my bed, held it like a notebook under my arm. could it be, that my hdd is loose and/or there is something like a short circuit?

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
5 passes, no error. going to chk hdd after work.

emulation of a floppy drive, booting from it, checking hdd, is that possible? sounds like a paradoxon to me..

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

emulation of a floppy drive, booting from it, checking hdd, is that possible

you running memtest aren't you...so it must be possible.. :)
because netbooks don't have floppy or cd drives...you have to be able to boot from the usb drive to test or to reinstall your OS...

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
sorry, i didn't make myself clear. the emulation of the memtest via sd-card worked of course.
the hdd analysis tool is written for floppy drives, for A:\
i tried to mount it on usb/sd, didn't work. i tried to do as much find/replace A:\ to E:\ as possible but i guess i'd have to have the source of the program aswell.
so my question would more likely be: can i emulate a floppy drive on my local hdd to scan itself afterwards in dos, emulating a floppy drive at the same moment?

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hi guys. i didn't try to start the hdd test yet but got another issue.

i tryed to use skype videochat. it worked for 25 minutes. i openend a flashbased website and had my dropboxfolder open which startet to sync files. shortly after that moment i got another bluescreen:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini060110-02.dmp
Crash Time : 01.06.2010 16:54:56
Bug Check String : BUGCODE_ID_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x40000080
Parameter 1 : 0x89dd3590
Parameter 2 : 0x88bc8f30
Parameter 3 : 0x89545f44
Parameter 4 : 0x00000001
Caused By Driver : NDIS.sys
Caused By Address : NDIS.sys+23821
File Description : NDIS 5.1 wrapper driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060110-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
==================================================

this time, as you can see, it contains a 0x88xxxxx error aswell. i restarted and used skype only. 2 minutes later another bluescreen very similar to the one above, again with 0x88xxxxxx.
another thing i noticed is the sound that stops when the bluescreen appears and turns into a noise as if the sound stopped, well obviously it does ^^
when i work with high cpu/memory load (firefox, flashsites, download, programs simultaniously) it does that sound sometimes for half a second but continues working. (just in this moment i got another one. only 0x89xxx's again).
doesn't this point to ramusage? or could the hdd-cache be the cause?

sorry i write so much :)

Edited by lokilein, 01 June 2010 - 02:22 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like your trying to do to many intensive things at the same time...pushing your system to hard and causing the crash...try just doing one thing at a time and see how it goes

Edited by happyrock, 01 June 2010 - 05:50 PM.

lokilein

lokilein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i'm not really trying too hard. when i run thunderbird in the background, surf in the internet and listen to music and maybe talk to people on im, it shouldn't occure a bluescreen or am i wrong? plus, the bluescreen appears for 2 weeks now, and i didn't change my working habbit :)