Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HFS Journaled Hard Drive recovery software?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hs!boON

hs!boON

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, i'm new to this forum, but I desperately need some help.

My mom has spent the last 5 years pouring her heart and soul into family research, and compiling over 4 terabytes of old family photos, all neatly named with birth dates, and organized by folder according to the family tree.

She has reached all the way back past George Washington, tracing our family lines. She recently put all her research on hold to do a family history as a present for her childhood neighbor who has been given less than a year to live.
She's already spent months and months on it.

So recently my Dad, (for about the 4th time), has completely F***ed her files. He had everything backed up in a raid array, but in his carelessness he deleted and reformatted every hard drive.... backup and all

He says it was an HFS Journaled drive, and he used the mac built in utility to delete, and then reformat the partition. When he realized what he had done he unplugged the hard drive and didn't write any files to it.

He bought software and recovered all the data files, but the names of the files are missing, and there is no organization whatsoever. Is there any program that will also recover the file folders and the organization of the hard drive?

Sorry for the long post

--summary
hfs journaled hard drive deleted and reformatted, but nothing new written.
Software recovered files, but no file names, nor file folders.
We need to recover the (b tree?) organization of those files and their names.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements