Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files not available on network

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Main computer is a HP Pavilion desktop with the usual C Drive internal, two USB external hard drives. The Internet connection is a Linksys WAG 160N, providing a wireless connection to an internet radio and a Acer netbook, and a wired connection to a WD TV Live streamer. Windows seven on the desktop and netbook.

I can access the internet on the radio. I can watch movies via the TV Live box and I can access the two external USB drives from the netbook.

What I *can't* do is access the files on my main computer' C Drive from the netbook - Access is denied or I don't have permission. ( it says Windows cannot access \\Study\c). I have gone through just about every combination of settings, switched off my firewall and so on to no avail.

Windows seven networking is supposed to be child's play!

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
By default you need the same user account and password for seamless access to files over the network on all computers. Also by default Windows restricts access to the root of drives eg 'c' that are not shared to administrative access only via c$. So on your USB Drives you need to enable sharing on them, by default again windows will grant everyone read only access if you want write access you will need to set that. Or have the same user accounts on all the machines with identical passwords to use write permissions with out additional setup.

Side note. If the drives are NTFS File system then you need to set drive wide NTFS permissions for read/write as the NTFS permissions over ride Shared permissions.

In windows 7 to share a folder or drive right click on the item to share and click on Sharing and Security or Sharing. I use the classic/advanced method for sharing so the link is Sharing and Security for me it may be different for you.

HTH Jon

Edited by amw_drizz, 02 June 2010 - 07:30 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Also by default Windows restricts access to the root of drives eg 'c' that are not shared to administrative access only via c$.

:) that's your problem there. if you were to share a folder on the C drive the same way you shared out your USB drives then you'd be able to see them.

if you were to try to access "\\Study\c$" then it would allow you to get to it (assuming you enter the admin username and password)

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
What do you mean by admin user name and password? I didn't set anything like that when I installed seven. And what is C$?

I have already done what has been suggested - the two USB drives (which are plugged into the main (Study) computer) can be read from the network - as can the videos and images on the C Drive via the WD TV Live box. I am completely baffled!

Edited by Wol, 03 June 2010 - 05:48 AM.