Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New 8 GB USB Flash Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

oldtoot

oldtoot

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I purchased two new 8 GB Cruzer Micro flash drives and have attempted to copy and backup files to them using a Lenovo Thinkpad with 32 bit Windows 7 installed. To my surprise, some photo files on the flash drives come up "invalid image". Some folders on the flash drives are completely empty even though the copy process dialog box showed they were being transferred. And some file names are complete gibberish, they look like ancient Egyptian hyroglyphics. It was formatted to FAT 32 using the Windows program before files were copied. I have the same model with a 2 GB capacity that works fine, also another 4 GB Kingston Datatraveler with no problems. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Doesn't solve your problem I know, but USB flash drives are a bad choice for long-term backups if that is what you intended to use them for. They have a limited life-span for data retention, reckoned to be around 10 years. May seem like a long time but you'd be surprised how fast 10 years can go by. And when they do lose data, it happens without warning. At least with a hard drive you do get advance warning of impending failure so you can take appropriate action.

You might want to try re-formatting those two flash drives to NTFS and see if that solves the problem.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
you could read this & test your flash drives

http://sushifury.com...ation-yourself/

oldtoot

oldtoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

you could read this & test your flash drives

http://sushifury.com...ation-yourself/

oldtoot

oldtoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Your test shows the units are defective. I will ask for refund from Ebay seller. Thank you

oldtoot

oldtoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Doesn't solve your problem I know, but USB flash drives are a bad choice for long-term backups if that is what you intended to use them for. They have a limited life-span for data retention, reckoned to be around 10 years. May seem like a long time but you'd be surprised how fast 10 years can go by. And when they do lose data, it happens without warning. At least with a hard drive you do get advance warning of impending failure so you can take appropriate action.

You might want to try re-formatting those two flash drives to NTFS and see if that solves the problem.

oldtoot

oldtoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
My intent is for short term off-site data backup. I'm not sure NTSF format will work in my case since I also use a Mac as well as a PC. FYI, the units will only formated to Fat32.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
FAKE USB PEN DRIVES...

http://www.brighthub...cles/33110.aspx

FAKE FLASH MEMORY...

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

trueage2010

trueage2010

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Super Talent Pico-C 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive STU8GPCS (Silver). 5% buy. Super Talent Pico-C 8 GB USB 2.0 ... With the new LaCie iamaKey, inventive storage meets data protection. .... The 4 GB storage is perfect for me because I get to store photos and music files. ... Warranty not valid due to lack of serial number