Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So expensive HHD?

• Please log in to reply

millermil

millermil

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi,everybody, i am looking for a hard drive to match with my computer, in my daily life, i like playing games.
How about this 2TB Western Digital Elements External USB 2.0 Hard Drive ?
Is it expensive?$120 ?My last HHD costed about $70bucks.
I have no idea,hope you can give me some advice.

http://www.jr.com/we...digital/pe/WD_B..

Edited by millermil, 31 May 2010 - 03:50 AM.

Advertisements

niemiro

niemiro

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello,

It is expensive. The reason for this is that it is 2TBs. This is considered huge, the cutting edge of hard disk technology. Therefore, you will pay a premium for it. If I were you, I would seriously consider whether you actually need 2TBs. If you do, then you will have to pay a premium, and this is one of your few choices. Unless you know that you need an inordinate amount of space, I really doubt you will use even half of it. Games should be installed on an internal hard disk, this is external. Also, though games are big, they will not come close to 2TB unless you have about 400-600 massive games all installed at the same time. External hard disk are for backup, and I have no idea what you need to backup that size. Even family photographs very, very rarely come to more than 100GB, and that would be an astronomically large number of massive resolution photos. I would imagine that the very biggest needed would be 1TB to guarantee that you will not fill it, around the $70 mark, with far more choice in design and manufacturer, and my personal favourite manufacturer of hard disks is Western Digital, what you have selected.

Tell me what you need it for, and we can discuss it in more detail, and come to a good hard disk to buy. Also, it is USB 2.0, slower and older than USB 3.0. However, to use USB 3.0 (a brand spanking new technology), you would need to open your PC and insert a PCI-E USB 3.0 card, and pay a premium for any equipment, probably not worth it yet. If I were you, I would just go for 1TB and USB 2.0, however, we probably should have more discussion first, so that we can make sure you pick the correct hard disk.

Richard

P.S. Do you really still use Windows 98?

Edited by niemiro, 31 May 2010 - 04:45 AM.

Alex Carlson

Alex Carlson

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,
Yes the price of 2TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive is $120.
It is expensive but is you can afford once then you do not have think in future.

With 2TB hard drive, you'll be able to store and retrieve, backup and restore your Mac or PC's data quickly and easily.In most cases users may not need to install any drivers. . Just plug the drive into your computer's USB 2.0 port, set up your preferences, and you're up and running!

There is no hassle, no complicated instructions, and no more worries about lost data! Whenever you are in search any additional storage or a safe place to keep your back up, you’ll find the Elements drive to be a reliable and economical solution.