Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! I can't get the internet on my laptop any more!

• Please log in to reply

robotriot

robotriot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Desktop PC – Sony Vaio PCV-W 1/G (running Windows XP)
Laptop – Sony Vaio VGN-NR10E (running Windows Vista)
Cisco cable modem 2100
Wireless router – Netgear WNR2000v2

I’ve recently changed my modem and router because our other wireless router was making a strange noise and the internet connection was very slow. Our ISP (Virgin Media) supplied us with a new router and modem, which we set up according to their instructions but for some reason, we can’t get the wireless to work on my laptop any more.

For some reason, when I try to connect to my wireless network via my laptop, I can only get limited connectivity but the internet works fine on my desktop computer. All the lights on my wireless router are on, indicating the connection is working fine.
When I try to connect directly through the Ethernet cable, again, I can only seem to get limited connectivity! It also describes my network as ‘Unidentified Network (my network name)’.
Please can you suggest some things to try because I really need my laptop to be able to use the internet, as I’m going to university soon and I don’t want the expense of having to buy a new laptop on top of everything else!
Thank you

Advertisements

Alex Carlson

Alex Carlson

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,
So your laptop has a wireless network card? Install the drivers for that and make sure it is working, then on the computer with the router, the laptop card should show up, try to establish that first.
If you have any problem , then reply.
Thanks.

robotriot

robotriot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, it should all be built in. I'm not sure how I can download and install the drivers for the wireless card for my laptop though because I can't get an internet connection on my laptop. Do you think I could download them to my desktop computer, move them onto a USB stick and then move them to my laptop?

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Install the drivers for that and make sure it is working, then on the computer with the router, the laptop card should show up, try to establish that first.

:)

I’ve recently changed my modem and router because our other wireless router was making a strange noise and the internet connection was very slow.

Interesting. I've never heard any of my routers making any kind of noise,
(seeing as they have no moving parts) but apparently it does happen.

Do you think I could download them to my desktop computer, move them onto a USB stick and then move them to my laptop?

Yes, you can install drivers this way. And plenty of other ways as well (burn to a disc).
However, I doubt drivers are the problem here.

On your laptop, try the built-in network repair feature, here's how.

If that fails, let us know. :)

:) SGC :)