Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ms Access 7 relational database problem

• Please log in to reply

speedspoon

speedspoon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please help,
This is a uni assignment and i'm not too familar with access. I have started creating a camp database but when i try to link information on a form it's not working. I have used Team ID as the primary key and i've created the relationship between team detials and camp activities roster. I have the same settings as student ID which is tranfering data fine ??? please help
:)

Advertisements

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi speedspoon,

:)

Are these your two tables in the database?
  • Team Details, the primary key is Team ID
  • Camp Activitiesm the primary key is Student ID?

A couple of of questions for you, if you don't mind:
  • What are some other fields in the tables?
  • Also what Table is your form based on?
  • Can you describe where you set the "relationship" mentioned?

Sincerely,

dm

speedspoon

speedspoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've changed the tables around in an effort to stop repeating data! I can get the student id to relate as long as i enter the student id and team id in the studentid/teamid table as well as student details.

With the Activites its not so easy as i'm attempting to get the database to read the activity code written in each feild e.g Monday morning activity code, monday midday activity code etc. Please help me to run a query that will draw the team name with the right activity name using the activity code from the monday morning, monday morning etc

I hope this clarifys, please see atttachment image - relationships and tables :)

Attached Thumbnails

• print_screen.jpg

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Speeedspoon,

Based on your current table structure, my first thought was to reevaluate the design...

At a glance, the Team Details table looks like it can be broken up further to allow easier and more efficient query building...

I hope to have some more time later this evening to review this. In the meantime, I want to provide you with a resource on relationships (not to insult your intelligence) but to give you an additional resource as you work through this project.

Relationship in Access

Best regards,

dm

speedspoon

speedspoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What i was thinking about doing just to make the database work. I was going to make a table for each individual time/day for each activity e.g Monday morning activity would use activity ID and Team ID to identify what each team is doing at that time and likewise for the rest of the time slots. This would make my world so much easier but i beleive this is wrong - but might have to roll with this given my deadline for due date.
thanks for your link it was very useful
p.s no insult taken i'm the first one to admit i'm no good at this !
Thanks DM