Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow laptop

• Please log in to reply

amayzzing

amayzzing

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My laptop is about 6 years old already. but i'm hoping that you guys can help me speed it up a little. It's an hp pavilion ze4800 with wndows xp. it generally runs ok, but it's very slow. It wasnt always like this, but it's been a while since i've fired it up because it is just so slow. It usually starts up fine, but it takes about 20 minutes for everything to start and get settled. I thought it was that i had too much stuff on it, i had about 1000 pics. so i got rid of 90% of them. It's better, but still very slow. The other day when i updated stuff, it said that i had about 1000 registry errors. Could this be pat of my problem? I dont have the best antivirus software, but i am only on the internet about once if year, at most. Again, i just never use it because it's so [bleep] slow. Is it just too old? You guys helped me about 2 years ago to get rid of a wicked virus, so work your magic again please!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ignore the registry errors. Also don't use any registry cleaner software, they are useless.
What programs have you got on the machine? A laptop that is six years old will probably run like a laptop that's six years old, and modern day programs will simply kill them.

Zom3ie

Zom3ie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Try defragging the hard drive. Most of the time, fragmented files are to blame for slow PCs.

amayzzing

amayzzing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
that's kind of what i figured unfortunately. Thanks for the confirmation though! I'll try defragging and see what happens.
I dont really have any programs that are out of the ordinary. The only other thing i can think of is all the music i have may be slowing it down.
Thanks again!

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
amayzzing-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Let's get rid of some old junk and temporary files to save space on your drive and speed up your system.
  • Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
###################

Please include the following information in your next reply:
  • The make and model of your computer.
  • The size of your hard drive, and the amount of free space left on it.
  • The amount of RAM on your computer.
  • Information on your processor, including make and speed.
###################

Let's take a look at the partitioning on your computer.
  • Go to Start > Run.
  • Type in diskmgmt.msc and click Enter.
On right side you will see a visual depiction of the partitions on your hard drive. I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
  • To take a screenshot press Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint.
  • Press CTRL+V to paste the contents of the screenshot into the paint workspace.
  • Go to File > Save As.
  • Save the file as a JPEG to your desktop.
Please attach the screenshot to your next reply.

###################

Let's also take a look at what's running at startup.
  • Please download Autoruns for Windows.
  • Extract the Autoruns zip folder contents to a new folder.
  • Double-click autoruns.exe to launch the program.
  • Go to File > Save As, and name it autoruns.txt
  • Remember to save as type: *.txt!
  • Please attach the file to your next reply (remember- it must be a .txt file).
###################

In summary: Clean junk files, Basic Info, Screenshot of partitions, Startup list.

Edited by FNP, 01 June 2010 - 08:22 PM.