Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexplained frame rate drops and more

• Please log in to reply

DecoyDan

DecoyDan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi folks, this is kind of a last ditch effort before I try and go reformat my rig. Within the past two or three days my computer has had a lot of random frame rate drops, and has been a little slow. I've run a disk defrag, multiple antivirus sweeps with AVG, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-aware. I've even viewed Hijack this, and found nothing really out of the ordinary.

But so far, nothing seems to be working. I cleaned out my rig today from dust and debris to see if that helped the issue; but to no avail. I've run a diagnostic to test if I had a memory leak, and so far nothing. What it's coming down to is that I'm rather sure either my RAM, my processor, or my GPU is dying (either that or my registry has just turned into pure trash.)

So what I'm here for is to ask if any of you experienced cats have any advice or diagnostics/tests I can run to see if something is dying out in my rig. It's around three or so years old now, so it's definitely getting a little out dated. My heats don't ever run higher than 46c on my processor. My CPU idles anywhere between 39-41c; and up to around 46c under load. I'm not entirely sure what my mobo or my GPU is running temperature wise, but I can't imagine it's too hot. I've had my hand in my rig (not directly touching anything) and the key areas (next to fans and such) haven't felt very hot.

Thanks for your help guys.

Advertisements

DecoyDan

DecoyDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh, and I'm running:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 6000+
Nvidia 8600 GT
1 gig ram
250 gig hard drive
Asus mobo (I'm not sure of the model anymore)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello DecoyDan :) sorry to hear you are having these issues,
Download & run Autoruns from here http://www.filehippo...nload_autoruns/
delete any entries that have File Not Found, this will also give you
a chance to see what is attached to the start up menu, then download
& run TFC (temporary file cleaner) from here http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html
Good luck & let us know how it goes

DecoyDan

DecoyDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I cleared about 10-14 no file founds, and cleared up an astonishing 1022 MB of temporary files (haven't done that in far too long). But the issue isn't resolved, it's still happening. The rate difference is a consistent 60 (standard) down to a consistent 10 (when it drops, and give or take two frames.) It happens every five or ten minutes roughly on my source based games, the FPS's. On the sims 3, it consistently stays trashed (and I've got my settings down on the lowest, which I shouldn't have to do.)

Edited by DecoyDan, 01 June 2010 - 07:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You can check out your gfx cards performance using GPU-Z, the link
to the free download is below;
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
You may also want to have a look at this diagnostic programme called
sandra lite;
http://download.cnet...4-10556571.html

DecoyDan

DecoyDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I found out the issue; my card was overheating. I ran a full load test last night and my card started at 96c idle and spiked to 130. The fan melted right off of it; but oddly the card still works. I got a free 8800gts from a friend and I'm making sure that the temperatures are all good and nothings wrong with my rig (or rather nothing in my rig is causing my card to wonk out.)

Thanks for the help bud.