Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to narrow down why my computer was/is freezing

• Please log in to reply

jckinnick

jckinnick

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
A couple weeks ago i did three different things to my computer in the span of three days.

First i installed a program called Driver Reviver that searches for out of date drivers and updates them. I was having problems with audio skipping while i would browse the internet, but now that issue is fixed since the drives have been updated.

Second I went into my registry and C Drive and found some old programs that were still on there and deleted some of them. Stuff like Aol, Real Arcade, Alltunes that i thought i had uninstalled long ago.

Third I accidentally uninstalled all of my windows components from add/remove. I was having trouble running the Google Updater program every time it would try to connect to a browser to show me the latest updates it would try to connect to MSN Explorer instead of my preferred browser. So i wanted to uninstall MSN Explorer but accidentally deleted all my Windows XP components. That issue is also fixed now.

The problem now was that my computer kept freezing up randomly at least 3 times a day at different periods. I tried reinstalling the Windows Components using the instillation cd but it would get about a quarter of the way and freeze up. The point where it begins to freeze is when it tries to configure Management and Monitoring Tools and Networking Services. It did however install some stuff before freezing. Since installing a quarter of the components back it doesn't freeze up anymore. The only time it will freeze up is if i try and open a program i have installed called Microsoft fix it, when i try to open up that program it is a sure fire freeze up. I have tried to uninstall Microsoft fix it and it will not let me uninstall it. It says that it is on a network resource that is unavailable.

I am using Windows XP 32 bit with a Dell Dimension 2400.

Can anybody help with this?

Edited by jckinnick, 31 May 2010 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
You might try an over-the-top reinstall of XP:

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Try Revo uninstaller to get rid of the Microsoft fix it.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Will the free 30 day trial version uninstall it?

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

You might try an over-the-top reinstall of XP:

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option
http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

That seems like a lot to do just to add back two components. Is there no other way?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Possibly. But, in order to help you figure out what the 'absolute minimum' might be to return your particular setup and its current corrupt state to pristine condition would take far longer.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Will the 30 days free of the Revo Uninstall program do what i need?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
On their main http://www.revouninstaller.com/ page, under the green "DOWNLOAD NOW" link on the left, it states:

30-day fully functional free trial

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Will the free 30 day trial version uninstall it?

Revo has a free version, also Ccleaner (free) in the registry fix probably would safely clean the registry. Just dont use Ccleaner willy nilly and use its built in feature to back up your registry files it will delete so you can restore them if there is an issue.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Revo worked! Thanks

Still don't know what im going to have to do about adding Windows components back.

Edited by jckinnick, 04 June 2010 - 09:47 PM.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I also used the Revo Uninstaller to clean up some old programs and it looks like it worked, but under HKEY CLASS ROOT there are still old programs listed.

Edited by jckinnick, 04 June 2010 - 09:49 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

but under HKEY CLASS ROOT there are still old programs listed.

There will still be bits and pieces left over. There always are.
Just leave the registry alone. If you don't, you will be back here asking for help to start the crashed computer.

For your windows components, you will have to find a CD of the same type. Borrow it from some one.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

but under HKEY CLASS ROOT there are still old programs listed.

There will still be bits and pieces left over. There always are.
Just leave the registry alone. If you don't, you will be back here asking for help to start the crashed computer.

For your windows components, you will have to find a CD of the same type. Borrow it from some one.

The Windows XP CD is what im using to try and reinstall the components and it keeps freezing when it gets to management configuration.