Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD +/- R vs. DVD +/- RW

• Please log in to reply

SBernheart

SBernheart

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've searched high and low and I haven't been able to find out what exactly the difference is between +R and -R or +RW and -RW. I get that the RW's are rewritables, but I couldn't find out if I could ADD additional material to a +/-R. First, I'd like to make some system disks, so using non-rewritable disks aren't even an option according to the instructions given to do this using Windows 7, but are there any drawbacks to using +R DVDs vs. using -R DVDs and, if so, what are they (and why?).
Second, I'd like to start storing some photos on DVDs, but I'm not concerned about changing what I may put on them as much as I am about adding to what I already have on them. I mean, if I'm choosing certain photos to burn, it's usually because I've already altered them, cropped them to my liking and therefore would want to keep them that way, but what if I only fill up a small percentage of the DVD? Can I go back at a later date and ADD more photos to the DVD if I'm NOT changing what I already have on it? Well, obviously I'm 'changing' the DVD just by adding something, but I'm NOT altering what I've previously burned, so am I allowed to add info until the DVD is full?
My new computer also includes 'LightScribe' and it appears that I can only purchase DVD+R's for use with that software, but I'd hate to have to wait until I have enough photos to fill the DVD if I'm only allowed a single-use burn. I apologize if these are silly questions, but like I said, I've looked here and there for specific answers to MY questions and all I could find were how DVD+R's weren't even recognized until 2008 or that DVD+/-RWs could be rewritten over and over again, but if what I'm trying to do will only allow DVD+/-Rs what good are the rewritables to me?
I hope I'm writing in the correct forum -- guess I should have asked about that first -- and thanks for any info you could provide. I'm truly looking forward to storing my really great photos on DVDs so that I can share them with friends and family and I can't wait to try burning the DVD's label with a specific photo using the LightScribe. It'll be something different for me. I never really used my CD/DVD on my old computer, so I'm way behind on the learning curve this time, I'm afraid! LOL Again, thanks so much....

:) SBernheart

Advertisements

Chris_027

Chris_027

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Most modern DVD+R drives should be multisession drives which means that they allow you to go back at a later time and add additional data until the disk becomes full. This will allow you to keep adding files but not alter, or erase them which seems to be what you wish to do. I know this doesn't completely answer all your questions but I hope that it helps.

SBernheart

SBernheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, it will -- thanks so much. If anyone knows of an address that I can research the subject further, that'd be great, but no worries as this will serve my immediate purposes. Besides using google, I even did a search here and couldn't come up with answers I was looking for. I did, however, come across the thread "Easily Create A Bootable Vista/Windows 7 USB Thumb Drive" and it took me to a Microsoft page as well and I hope it helps me explore all my options when I'm ready to make mine. I'm assuming my new computer will help me with this as it did come with it's own programs. Backing up to a flash is a handy idea, too, but unfortunately I don't have a 4GB one just now. I think mine are 1GB and 2GB, but as usual, I digress.
Now all I need (well, want really) is a pic of the Windows 7 logo to try out on the LightScribe-ready DVD+R disk to use for my system disk and I'll be a happy camper! I'm going hunting for that next, but if anyone knows where I'm allowed to use a copy of one, that'd be even better!!

See you guys next time and thanks again, shehing, I appreciated the quick response.

:) SBernheart

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Win 7 logo

http://en.wikipedia....go.svg?powerset