Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wanting to try Ubuntu 10.04

• Please log in to reply

Jim2932

Jim2932

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The other day I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 and would like to install it so that I can either boot into XP or Ubuntu.
At the present XP is installed on a 20GB partition with a hard drive that has a total size of 200GB.
The 180GB that’s left is a logical drive, used for my music and movie collection.
I think there’s about 70GB free.
To install Ubuntu could I shrink the 180GB to create another partition for Ubuntu without losing any data?
Or would I have to format this 180GB partition, to make it unallocated?

I notice on the Ubuntu web site there are two options available for partitioning your drive with the installation, automatic and manual.
How do they work and more important are they safe to use.
I wouldn’t want to stuff up my windows XP, because I need Microsoft Office.

Advertisements

computerxpds

computerxpds

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 44 posts
Hi,

If you select auto it should shrink the partition with the most free space so yes i think it would be ok to just install it and use the auto format option. :)

Mr. Kiningham

Mr. Kiningham

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Use Wubi to install it. http://wubi-installer.org/ Period. You won't lose a thing, and you can uninstall it from Windows just like you're uninstalling a program.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Use Wubi to install it. http://wubi-installer.org/ Period. You won't lose a thing, and you can uninstall it from Windows just like you're uninstalling a program.

I second that, if you decide to dual boot and want to remove it at a later date you will end up with grub/lilo errors like I did and I removed it correctly. I tried to use various repair options and it failed.

The advantage of using wubi is you can try Ubuntu, Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu and my preferred environment) and if you don't like it you can easily remove it and that will remove any MBR (Master Boot Record) entries quickly and safely so you don't need to mess around with partitions etc...

Regards

ComputerKid

ComputerKid

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I used the Wubi to install it alongside my XP OS. It installed, created its own partition fine, and I uninstalled it and it's as if it was never there. The easiest thing (in my opinion) is to use UNetbootIn, where you put it onto a flashdrive and install it from there.

Mr Gray

Mr Gray

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
You can try a program called Gparted. It's a free partitioning program and I've used it in the past with no problems. Here's the link if you are interested: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

If you need help with it, please let me know.

sir fer

sir fer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I wouldn't touch ubuntu with a 20ft pole. 10.04 is possibly their worst release yet.

I 2nd the WUBI option if you're keen to try it out as others have stated, you won't lose anything.

computerxpds

computerxpds

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 44 posts

I wouldn't touch ubuntu with a 20ft pole. 10.04 is possibly their worst release yet.

I like the new release it is better than the others that i have used. Why dont you like it?

sir fer

sir fer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I like the new release it is better than the others that i have used. Why dont you like it?

Ubuntu take the Debian unstable packages (which contain no security fixes) patch it really badly and are trying to make a buck by selling support. It's also quite involved to customise. For example i dislike desktop environments because I simply do not need them. I have openbox, tint2 panel and a few other bits and pieces installed for a grand total install of about 2GB, and that's it. I can browse the web, do email, IRC, chat, listen to music ad nauseum. GNOME and KDE are both bloated, slow and clunky and signs of improvement aren't apparent. Also, old and new bugs arise with every single release as evidenced by the flood of new posts at Ubuntu forums at release time. I used Ubuntu from 7.10 until 8.04 decided that it didn't like my wifi hardware (rt73usb). I later found this was a kernel issue but by that time I had got the hang of Debian and have never looked back. The quality of Debian is far superior. It's as if someone takes a Rolls Royce, puts a Mini engine in it, pimps it out Xibit styles and calls it a "Rolls Royce done right". It may fool the naive but I don't buy it for a minute and frankly find it degrading that they label and inferior product as something "done right". I have been using Debian Unstable for about a year after using etch, then Lenny when it was in testing, Lenny and then Squeeze in testing and have found it more reliable and a better finished product than anything Ubuntu has ever put out, as I do check Ubuntu with each release.

That's my rant :) thanks for reading :)

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Don't use Wubi installer if you want to partition it correctly in my opinion. I had troubles with it, might've just been me, but I prefer booting it up from a USB.

If you download an ISO Burner and burn it to a USB/CD and then just boot it up, it'll take you to boot screen that says download onto hard drive or something of that matter, or test it.

If you test it , sorry I don't remember perfectly, then you will not be taking up any space. When you partition it brings you to a screen saying how much space, overwrite, then you select how much you want :)

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

To install Ubuntu could I shrink the 180GB to create another partition for Ubuntu without losing any data?
Or would I have to format this 180GB partition, to make it unallocated?

If you haven't already installed Ubuntu, make sure you defrag XP first, run the live cd without making any changes, then you will see a setup icon on the Ubuntu desktop, right click - open.

When you get to the partition manager, choose manual. Use the slider to adjust how much space you want to use for XP and for Ubuntu, choose ext3 files system,
make the mount point "/", (w/o parenthesis), click the format button and then I believe next.

I'm doing this all off of memory, so i hope I have not forgotten anything.