Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp and emachine

• Please log in to reply

dstrattenfan

dstrattenfan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an emachines computer (T1840) with Windows XP on it I do not have anything on the hard drive I want to keep...when I power the computer up it is a black screen with nothing

I power it w. my emachines recovery disks a black screen and two options, the first of which was "Restore Windows XP" which I clicked enter. Then another window came up with this in the banner "Symantec Ghost 7.0.0.260 Copyright © 1998-2001 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved".

Within this window was another window with the banner "Error" and finally inside this were the text "Single user version cannot do multiple loads" with an okay button. At the bottom of the page was R:\T1840.GHO I pressed enter and got a new error message "Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT". Again I pressed enter and this got Application error 11000 "Invalid dump file. If problem persists, please contact Symantec support center or contact symantec support".

I shut it all down with the disc still in and this time tried option 2-Boot to command prompt from CD-ROM. I pressed enter and the following came up. "files being verified" then this shows up A:\> and it just sets there and does nothing..

I have been told to do a "clean install" of xp...The problem I have is that my xp was preloaded on my computer I have the serial key I just can't afford to buy a new copy of xp

CPU : Intel® Celeron® Processor 1.80GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Chipset : Intel® 845GL chipset
Memory : 128MB DDR (PC2100)
Hard Drive : 40GB HDD
Optical Drive : 40 × 12x40 Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video : Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D (845GL shared)
Sound : AC '97 Audio
Network : 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals : Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other : 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
Dimensions : 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi :)dstrattenfan

A possible answer is found Here

It seems that Emachines uses a ghost image.

123runner

dstrattenfan

dstrattenfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi :)dstrattenfan

A possible answer is found Here

It seems that Emachines uses a ghost image.

123runner

OMG It worked I love u....will u marry me...just kidding...but seriously it works thanks!!!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

dstrattenfan

dstrattenfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am going to spread the word to all my friends u guys are the best :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thanks for all the kind words.
I personally came to visit and stayed. We are here because we all enjoy what we do.

123runner