Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2003 Password Prompt

• Please log in to reply

aserge

aserge

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am using MS Exchange Server 2003 and I have a user that all of a sudden (not sure what really happened) the box keeps asking for a network password and when putting in his password the box just pops back up. Thus, he cannot login to his email.

I created an additional outlook profile on his computer using my username and it took. So I deleted his profile and tried to recreate it and it still prompted me for his password. And the same issue, it won't take his password.

How do I resolve this issue? I checked his settings for his user ID on the exchange server and in AD, and I reset his password thinking maybe he gave me the wrong password. Buit still no luck. I cannot connect him at all.

Please HELP!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

So I deleted his profile and tried to recreate it and it still prompted me for his password.

is that just the outlook profile?

i would delete his local profile off the computer: log on as an admin (local admin is best if you can) then right click on my computer, then properties, then advanced, then user profiles. highlight his username and press delete. before doing that make sure to copy anything that's in the user's my documents folder and their desktop to somewhere safe as those will get deleted. then log on as that user again on the computer and try to set up outlook again

aserge

aserge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is just the outlook profile. When I created an outlook profile under my username it worked. I was logged on as him when I created the outlook profile for myself. So his local profile doesn't seem to be causing a conflict. Seems like there is a problem with his ID. There is a lot of customization that goes into local profiles. I would have to copy it or reord all the settings. I think deleting it can cause more problems than fixing them. We have auditors here and cannot have anymore major issues if possible. I just not sure.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
when you created the profile under your username, did you try to connect to the other user's email?

you'd be surprised what a local profile corruption can mess up, usually when i see this issue it's a corrupted local profile.

most of the local customizations should be handled by the domain (otherwise why have one?) and should be recreated when you log on as the user again (which will recreate the local profile)

aserge

aserge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I created my username in outlook I had it prompt me first to select which profile I wanted to log onto outlook with. I selected mine first and veriified that it did work and then I closed outlook and selected his it still promoted me for his password.

I wasn't apart of setting the settings for the domain. Since I have been here I have been the one to create an image for the PC's (there was none before, just building them from scratch) and all profiles are how you manually customize them. I should be able to copy his profile to the default user folder and it would save his settings.

I can do that and see how it works out. But I wonder why did my username work and not his when logged onto his windows profile. Shouldn't it not work for anyone?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

But I wonder why did my username work and not his when logged onto his windows profile. Shouldn't it not work for anyone?

not necessarily. since your outlook profile never existed before under his account then it wouldn't be corrupted if the local profile is corrupted.

if it were an issue with the mail account in exchange, then no one would be able to connect to it from any windows account

aserge

aserge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay thanks, I'll go and try it and let you know what happens.

Edited by aserge, 01 June 2010 - 01:27 PM.

aserge

aserge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just to let you know, my server group had informed me they made everyone change their passwords after the weekend and this user is in NY and I'm in Chicago and so I think he had a synchronizaton problems. I reset his password again on the chicago server AND the NY server, had him log off completely, log back in with the new password and opened outlook and eneterd the new password I created and his mailbox loaded. Problem solved for now. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate the help, I was panicked!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that's why i'm glad i'm the server group and the email group, i don't have to call myself to tell me when i change something

aserge

aserge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its always best to be in the driver seat. Its hard having to wait on someone else to get something done or just look at all the time I spent on trying to resolve this issue. I am the everyday onsite person here and no one told me what they were doing, they did it over the weekend. Our server group is contracted and there is a huge breakdown in communication, they have someone different coming in every other day or so and one person doesn't know what the last one did, let alone keeping me in the loop. Well, thanks again.