Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia Gtx 480 or ATI 5870 (PLS HELP !)

• Please log in to reply

shehande

shehande

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade my current graphics card to a NVIDIA GTX 480 or a ATI 5870.

My Current System Spec's are as follows:-

* Motherboard - Intel DG35EC
* Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ
* Memory (Ram) - DDR2/800 (4GB)
* GPU - (GIGABYTE) - NVIDIA 8800GT (512MB DDR3)
* PSU - 750W (COMMANDO)

I just want to know will the above hardware be a problem if i upgrade my graphics card ? And what should I go for ?

I can afford both, but my favourite is the Nvidia GTX 480. (Since I have only been using Nvidia through my whole life, I am a bit reluctant to buy a ATI. But I read a few forums that it says the ATI 5870 cards are very good). What do you'll think ?

I would greatly appriciate your input. Thanks !!

SHEHAN

Advertisements

Dindy

Dindy

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi shehande! Between GTX 480 and 5870 I would go for GTX 480 it's mostly better in almost all games out there.But you might need to overclock your processor to at least 3Ghz or more to get best out of your graphic card.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you give me some more information on this "Commando" 750W PSU?

shehande

shehande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the reply's.. Much appreciated !!

I apologize, that I have spelled the name of my PSU wrong. it's called "COMMANDER 750W" Below is the web site:-

http://www.inwin-sty...amp;iw_pd_id=14

Hope it’s ok, since I don’t have much cash with me as of now, since I am trying to get the graphics card.

By the way, what is the best software that I should use to over clock my processor ? any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers !!

SHEHAN

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not a fan of In Win but it seems to have the right specs for what you need... as long as it's putting out what it's saying.

For overclocking, the best software is called BIOS. :)

Graphics card, I personally would choose whatever is cheaper - Tom's Hardware have placed the Nvidia one tier above the ATI, which in practise would give you a minimum performance increase, if noticeable at all.

http://www.tomshardw...eon,2646-7.html

Troy

shehande

shehande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks troy for all your help !! Appreciate it a lot.

Regards,

SHEHAN