Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Problem-File Corrupted

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am using a MacBook Pro and am using the newest version of VMWare and running a WIndows XP Pro VM with it.

Recently my hard drive starting experiencing problems and going bad so I promptly got a replacement drive. Fortunately most if not all of my files seemed to be fine and not corrupt. The problem is my .vmdk virtual drive file is corrupt. It's approximately 30GB and when I try to copy the file to the new hard drive it hits 1.6GB and just stops. I have tried a backup program such as SuperDuper but it just simply skips that file without any errors.

Unfortunately I had a lot of data in programs like Quicken, TurboTax, and others that would be hard to recreate. I had done a SuperDuper mirrored backup of my drive a couple weeks earlier but the problem with the VM must have already been there since it also was not copied on the backup.

Is there any way to get around this problem? Even if I'm unable to get the VM working I would be glad to set up a new Windows XP VM and reinstall programs if I can simply get to the data on the VM file. I know the problem may be just a small part of that large file.

Are there any utilities I should run that can possibly repair or get to the data on this file? Is my best option to take it into a hard drive recovery expert? Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
might this help ?

http://www.dabcc.com...le.aspx?id=8926

Mark W

Mark W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you. I don't know if that'll solve my problem but I'll give it a try.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
If it doesn't try googling " vmdk corrupted " there is plenty out there.

Mark W

Mark W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Unfortunately that didn't help. I will try using google and see what I can come up with.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
good luck, hope you find an answer. :)

it appears that vmware charge for support...ah well :)