Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP Mini 311

• Please log in to reply

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a HP Mini 311 with an external USB/DVD drive. When I attempted to install embroidery software, I received an error message that started: Windows has encountered a problem and has shut down to prevent...............then the message disappears and the PC tried to Restart. The error message appears again for a second and the PC attempts to Restart. I cannot get to any other screen to attempt correction. How do I get past the error ...at least to SAFE MODE so that I can uninstall the offending software? The OS is XP Home
Thank you..
Blossom
PS: I am using another computer to communicate here......HELP

Edited by Blossom1007, 01 June 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

How do I get ... at least to SAFE MODE

Try this:
  • Turn the computer off.

• Disconnect the USB/DVD drive.

• Turn the computer back on and start repeatedly tapping the [F8] function key. With any luck you should eventually get the Safe Mode (Advanced Options) Menu:

Posted Image

Edited by SpywareDr, 02 June 2010 - 03:57 AM.

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Tried that already.....no luck!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
hp.com > HP Mini Notebook PCs with Windows XP > Recovering or repairing Windows XP
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3860346