Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't start Windows XP anymore, and repairing has a problem!

• Please log in to reply

haramer

haramer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi! I am new to this place, but I can really use some help here.

So I have no idea what has happened, but apparently Chrome stopped working and instead opened IE everytime. People said it was a malware, which may be a problem. I think it is mainly the problem with downloading some programs. Anways, when I turn on my computer, it shows the usual but it didn't even show the Windows XP logo with the blue bar loading thing below it. It just turned all black, and didn't go anywhere. Now, I tried your steps of repairing this, but everything went well untill it made me restart the computer, and went to the installing windows part. I thought it would be just like when I first downloaded XP, however it gave an error saying:

Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect funtion.

then I pressed okay and it showed me so many more fatal errors. I have no idea what to do now, and I thought of moving my harddrive to another computer to transfer the data/files then to cleanly reinstall Windows XP again. What should I do?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
slave the drive to another computer and save all the data...after your done...while the drive is still connected to that computer...run chkdsk /r on that drive

haramer

haramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Wait, but from what I'm doing, it seems to me that it is chkdsk repair on the master drive only, but how do I do it for the slave (the one with the boot up problem in the first place)?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...run...type in cmd...press enter...at the prompt type X: chkdsk /r...press enter
replace X: with whatever drive letter windows has assigned to it...you can see what drive letter it is by opening my computer...
don't have any folders open on the slaved drive prior to starting chkdsk...
You may be asked if you want to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts...say yes and reboot if necessary

Edited by happyrock, 03 June 2010 - 04:19 PM.

haramer

haramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay well I didn't even have to log in/run as a administrator for the cmd, and I said D: chkdsk /r and it told me this:

D:\>chkdsk /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) Y (I said yes)
Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stages 2 of 5)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying files data (stage 4 of 5)...
55 percent completed.

So the stage 4 is still running I guess, taking a load of time due to the fact that my harddrive is like 200 gb. Anyways, once this is done, what should I do? Also... you know how it said all open handles to this volume is invalid, yeah is that a problem or can I make it valid again (I don't even know what it is talking about). Also, once this is done, should I try to boot up my computer again using this drive? I already scanned it with malwarebyes and I'm using ThreatFire but I'm not sure if it got all the viruses out of the harddrive yet. I can also uninstall windows XP, but it won't let me, again read my first post for that problem. Thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications...then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here...

leave the drive connected for now and go to the malware forum...start a new thread...tell them I sent you...IMPORTANT tell them the infected drive is connected as a slave on the computer you are posting on and needs to be cleaned

Edited by happyrock, 05 June 2010 - 03:15 PM.

haramer

haramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, well when I said it was now at 55% complete, well it was still stuck for like 10 minutes... so I stopped it. Then I tried again, but this time it said the exact same thing but it also gave a second paragraph saying I need to restart it, and would you like to schedule it so when you restart the computer it will start the chkdsk? I said yes, and now it isn't in the cmd window but its in the blue screen (not the blue screen of death) but it is doing the exact same process. However again it's stuck at 55%. What should I do?

I will start a malware topic too, thanks.

haramer

haramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It got to 56%! omg its so slow

haramer

haramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay here it is:

Checking file system on D:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

199133675 KB total disk space.
137220888 KB in 230797 files.
96152 KB in 18681 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
342311 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
61474324 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
49783418 total allocation units on disk.
15368581 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
10 18 04 00 91 ce 03 00 2e 6c 06 00 00 00 00 00 .........l......
31 02 00 00 05 00 00 00 c4 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 1...............
d4 bb 1b 09 00 00 00 00 32 e7 e2 d0 00 00 00 00 ........2.......
78 4f f2 09 00 00 00 00 4e 51 e2 c0 12 00 00 00 xO......NQ......
48 59 58 da 03 00 00 00 9a b9 c2 86 17 00 00 00 HYX.............
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 a8 3a 07 00 8d 85 03 00 ..6......:......
00 00 00 00 00 60 4c b7 20 00 00 00 f9 48 00 00 .....`L. ....H..

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
SOMETIMES CHKDSK WILL EVEN BACK UP AND GO OVER THE SAME AREA AGAIN...
for the future just let it run...it may hang at a certain % for a hour or more only to complete sucessfully...

after your given a all clean by the malware pros...put the drive back in the other computer and try to boot it up

haramer

haramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, but what if Windows XP was already in the process of repairing and failed/had errors?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after your given a all clean by the malware pros...put the drive back in the other computer and try to boot it up

haramer

haramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
alright I guess I have to wait for a while, because it's been a couple days. Anyways, thanks a lot man!