Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is it ok to delete old programs that i dont use anymore from the regis

• Please log in to reply

jckinnick

jckinnick

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I've noticed some old programs that i thought i had uninstalled long ago in my registry and also in C Drive. Is it ok to delete these?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It's quite normal for registry keys and program folders to be left behind after uninstalling something. Very few applications can manage to remove everything associated with it, but those leftovers rarely do any harm other than waste a negligible ammount of disk space.

We don't recommend meddling with the registry at all as you can easily 'break' Windows, but if you are competent you should first back up the registry then delete the redundant keys. Just be careful you don't delete anything else, be sure it's the correct key in the Registry or the correct folder in Program Files that you are deleting. At a bare minimum you should back up the Registry first, though ideally you should first create an entire disk image on an external hard drive before doing anything which carries a risk of 'breaking' Windows.

I make regular disk-images of my desktop PC & laptop because I'm constantly testing software then subsequently removing redundant folders and registry keys. Been doing that for years so i regard myself as very competent and I'm always prepared for the worst, but anyone who is less prepared or less experienced just needs to ask themself "If it's doing no harm should I leave it alone?". I would advise "Yes".

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 02 June 2010 - 09:00 AM.

jckinnick

jckinnick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

It's quite normal for registry keys and program folders to be left behind after uninstalling something. Very few applications can manage to remove everything associated with it, but those leftovers rarely do any harm other than waste a negligible ammount of disk space.

We don't recommend meddling with the registry at all as you can easily 'break' Windows, but if you are competent you should first back up the registry then delete the redundant keys. Just be careful you don't delete anything else, be sure it's the correct key in the Registry or the correct folder in Program Files that you are deleting. At a bare minimum you should back up the Registry first, though ideally you should first create an entire disk image on an external hard drive before doing anything which carries a risk of 'breaking' Windows.

I make regular disk-images of my desktop PC & laptop because I'm constantly testing software then subsequently removing redundant folders and registry keys. Been doing that for years so i regard myself as very competent and I'm always prepared for the worst, but anyone who is less prepared or less experienced just needs to ask themself "If it's doing no harm should I leave it alone?". I would advise "Yes".

What about some of these uninstall programs that are supposed to remove all the old left behind files?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You can see if Revo Uninstaller will pick up any. Other than that...Leave the registry alone!
Revo Uninstaller

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this falls in the category of if its not broke...don't fix it